Are you an instructor / business owner? I got a question or two.

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Hey guys, just a few Q's, who here is an instructor (full time or part time) and who here owns some form of school / business involving RAA aircraft and flying?

I'm just keen to know about further horizons beyond the pure flying for fun. Can you make the odd dollar or two out of it? Can RAA registered aircraft and pilots have a business on the side?

Something along the lines of your own business with one aircraft where you can sub contract out to other schools who are in need of instructors or even a "joy flight" "scenic tours" kind of operation?

Just keen to know your thoughts, previous experience and of course the limitations and expectations if ever there might be an opportunity down the road.

Cheers

Brett

G'day Brett..

Well, you won't get rich from being an RAA instructor. You can make a few bucks, but for me its more about the enjoyment of flying and teaching..

That being said, if you were to own your own acft and instruct in it, provided it was a good sturdy trainer and reliable, im sure you could make some more dollars..

We can't do joyflight's/ scenic tours in RAA acft. We cannot fly for reward other then instructing. We can do TIF's (trial instructional flights). Youve probably had one of those so you know what they are all about.. It can be like a joyride but it needs to be made clear to the passenger that it is a TIF and not a joyride.

Im sure there's experianced owner/ instructors on this site that can answer your questions better..

cheers

Guest airsick
We can't do joyflight's/ scenic tours in RAA acft.

I think this is about to change. I recall reading somewhere just recently that CASA and RAA are thinking about bringing in 'air experience' flights so you can do joyflights. The requirements were pretty vague but it looks as though it is coming. Will try to dig out what I was reading.

Guest airsick

There is a brief mention of it here:

Project OS 08/13 - Early implementation of certain proposed CASR Part 103 standards via CAO

Still can't find the document I was reading though. It had a more detailed definition of what air experience flights were.

CASR Part 115 might also be of interest to you although I suspect this is still someway off actually happening.

Changing the rules - CASR part 115 - Operations using sport aviation aircraft for non-recreational activities

Will keep digging...

Guest Brett Campany
G'day Brett..Well, you won't get rich from being an RAA instructor. You can make a few bucks, but for me its more about the enjoyment of flying and teaching..

That being said, if you were to own your own acft and instruct in it, provided it was a good sturdy trainer and reliable, im sure you could make some more dollars..

We can't do joyflight's/ scenic tours in RAA acft. We cannot fly for reward other then instructing. We can do TIF's (trial instructional flights). Youve probably had one of those so you know what they are all about.. It can be like a joyride but it needs to be made clear to the passenger that it is a TIF and not a joyride.

Im sure there's experianced owner/ instructors on this site that can answer your questions better..

cheers

Cheers Merv, I'd be doing for the same reason, for the enjoyment. I used to instruct in the Navy and I got a lot out of that. I'm full time with Aerorescue but I'm lucky in that the job gives me blocks of 2 to 4 days off in a row with our roster on a regular basis. It's be nice to have some extra pocket money but to be able to teach someone else to fly as well would be very rewarding.

As for the TIF flights, I thought there was some restrictions on "joy flights" but to actually give people a TIF to get them interested in what is already a growing trend in flying, would be great!

I read this somewhere too, allowing Commercial ops in essence. Only problem is that there won't be an Ra-Aus 'commercial licence' as such, so instructor ratings would be required for a joy / air experience flight. Unless something changes with respect to the commercial licences part.

Yea, i don't think the current reg's are much of a restriction in this regard.. I mean, i know a guy who used to stick a sign up on the highway saying "joyrides".. And then he'd explain that its a tif, which is basically a joyride where you get to have a go on the controls.. I shouldn't call it a joyride i know, but anyone interested ( majority) in a joyride in a light acft would surely have at least a passing interest in whats involved with the flying bit..

I think the regs are designed to stop old mate with a plane from charging people to take them flying, with all the legal issues that would come about in the event it went pear shaped..

I mean, you can't do "joyrides" in a GA acft without a cpl, and various other requirements..so its a similar thing..

Guest Brett Campany

I think having that instructor rating would be more than appropriate for "scenic TI Flights" and the public would certainly get something out of it.

You couldn't do it as a full time thing but something on the side to your normal job would be ideal!

Guest Brett Campany

That's awesome Merv, I might pick your brains sometime in the future. I don't want to get to far ahead of myself but I'm goal driven and have been wanting to do something like this for a long time now.

Got my second TIF this Friday down at Bunbury and will make a decision on what school to go to. Been looking at all my pros and cons for both schools, the big thing is that I want to learn in a Jabiru because I believe that's what the wife and I will buy in the next couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the large number of RAAus flight schools close to Perth, and that will tell you something about where your 'competition' might be.

RAAus instructing is much more relaxed than GA, especially out in the country. At current charge-outs of between $130 and $160/hr for a Jab 160 or similar higher performance types - you are going to need 400hrs p.a. to make any sort of living - full time - but as a part-time, relaxed operation, it's enjoyable if it only does a bit better than break-even.

happy days,

Hi R461, just a thought that if you are actually flying PIC or P2 with S&R, you may need to look into your monthly hours usage to avoid overrunning while flying RAAus. :i_dunno:

Arthur.

Guest Brett Campany
Hi R461, just a thought that if you are actually flying PIC or P2 with S&R, you may need to look into your monthly hours usage to avoid overrunning while flying RAAus. :i_dunno:

Arthur.

Already looked into that one, we don't fly enough hours for it to be any issue. In my job though in the event that we do clock up an unusual amount of hours then I wouldn't be instructing for that period. As the instructing would only be part time, I'd be telling my CFI if I can or can't fly within that period. :thumb_up: