converting RA to GA

Guest keanie

I fly a bell 47 helicopter (PPL) and have never flown fixed wing. am currently learning RA in a Tecnam. have gone solo and about to get my RA licence.

Question does anyone know what is required for me to get a GA fixed wing licence givem mt situation

I know Iv done it back to front

Keanie

There have been many discussions about this issue so I would suggest that you look through the "Training and student pilots" forum and look for similiar threads. There are a few, with lots of great information.

In summary though, it really is a matter of which flying school you go to, which CFI you talk to and then your experience, flying hours, and skill. Theory - Some CFI's will tell you that you need to the PPL BAK, others may not enforce it. It is in my opinion worthwhile to do the PPL BAK. You will of course need to pass the PPL CASA exam. Practical - it is much quicker and easier of course to find a school that have a GA registered aircraft the same as what you have been flying RAA, so in your case a Tecnam. Only hours that you have after you get your RAA licence can be applied to your PPL, or so I have been told. I believe it would also be much easier if your RAA school also has GA.

One thing is for sure , there is no easy answer and it will probably take longer than what you are first told. I am also trying to get my GA at present but it is being compounded by working o/s at the moment, with under 3 weeks at home then 5 weeks away. When I get back next time it is also Xmas / New Years, so less time. Oh well.

Good Luck

I am also trying to get my GA at present but it is being compounded by working o/s at the moment, with under 3 weeks at home then 5 weeks away. When I get back next time it is also Xmas / New Years, so less time. Oh well.Good Luck

Hang in there mate you will get there but when you do get your GA, don't forget us in the RAAus!

Thanks Ian, no way I will give up the RAA. Way too enjoyable, but the GA side will make it possible to take both kids flying with me. This is a problem at the moment, as what do I do with the other one whilst two of us are up.

Also should have said, " Welcome aboard to Keanie" as I noticed after I submitted that it was his first post.

Thanks MAXAMOS

Have spoken to CASA re converting GA helicopter to GA fixed wing. Requires 2 more exams PPL BAK & PPL Aircraft (go with the flow) plus a conversion to a GA plane. Will get into this after xmas and holidays.

Gained my RA licence on friday, am feeling quite choofed (dont know if its a word)

Even if i get my GA am thinking of buying a Tecnam and can rent a 4 seater when required.

Guest Cloudsuck
Gained my RA licence on friday, am feeling quite choofed (dont know if its a word)

And I was there and saw it all. You fly pretty good for a 'whirly gig' guy.

My advice would be; don't do your PPL (A) in a Cessna, you will get bored after the Tecnam and Bell. I did my PPL in a Piper Supercub and had a ball. You would get a tailwheel endorsement at the same time. I reckon you would take to it like a duck to water after doing all that 'pat your head and rub your tummy' stuff you do in the 47.

Yesterday I did my first flight as a GA sudent, in Gawne's C150 at Shepparton with Mr Aviation, Allan Cole.. This evening I did a series of solo T&Gs in the clubs Tecnam.

To me its the best of both worlds.. but with GA, I can take Angela AND the kids with me, and go places.

My biggest thought is to do things the way Matt at Air Shepparton used to do, and Nathan , his successor does; teach RA students to a GA sylabus, and have them do the GA standard for all the exams up to GFPT and PPL.

If you only have an RA standard BAK, then to convert to GA, you will need to have a PPL standard - adding heaps of $$$ to your training.

The other pain in the rear is to get the CASA medical stuff sorted.. you have to have one with your CASA Student licence to go solo.

Ben

And I was there and saw it all. You fly pretty good for a 'whirly gig' guy. My advice would be; don't do your PPL (A) in a Cessna, you will get bored after the Tecnam and Bell. I did my PPL in a Piper Supercub and had a ball. You would get a tailwheel endorsement at the same time. I reckon you would take to it like a duck to water after doing all that 'pat your head and rub your tummy' stuff you do in the 47.

thanks for the positive feedback,

every on tells me the same thing, but if i get endorsed on a cessna i can hire one to take my drunken mates for a trip. of course i dont drink

Guest Elk McPherson
If you only have an RA standard BAK, then to convert to GA, you will need to have a PPL standard - adding heaps of $$$ to your training.

With respect, Ben, I disagree that it will add significant cost.

Forgetting for the moment that he has already passed the (much harder) rotary-wing CASA exams, surely RAA theory is just as comprehensive as the CASA theory... and so passing the CASA-approved exams would be a mere formality?