Garmin 96C and AirNav ?

Adrian Lewer

Hi all i am wanting to buy a GPS unit soon and would like to know if the Garmin 96C will work with the Sentinent AirNav Software ? if so will it still have moving maps ect ?

i E mailed sentinent and this is what they said

As there are so many GPS Units in the market, we are unable to tell many people whether their GPS Unit is compatible, however you can find out from your manufacturer by stating/asking the following (or if you know the answers yourself):

----------

I am running a navigation application on my PC. The navigation application receives NMEA0183 data from a GPS connected to a COM port on the PC and displays this information on the PC monitor.

Most GPS units will allow this application to control the COM port when the GPS is connected to the PC and the GPS is transmitting data in NMEA0183 mode. Some GPS units, such as Garmin 296s, include a cable and software that will not allow some third-party applications to control the COM port when the GPS is connected.

Does the [insert GPS model number here] have the ability to transmit NMEA0183 data?

Does the GPS unit come with a cable, or is a cable available, that allows any third-party application to read the COM port when the GPS is connected?

Does the GPS unit come with software that takes control of the COM port when the GPS is connected? (If so, the navigation application will not be able to read the GPS data).

---------------

Makes no sense to me so hopefully someone could shed some light on the situation...

Ok, I will have a stab so here is some paraphrasing but the questions are actually for the GPS unit vendors of course!

1. Can the GPS hardware talk the same language as AirNav VFR?

2. Is there a cable that can be supplied that will allow the AirNav VFR laptop to be connected and talk with the GPS unit?

3. This one is a little tricky. I think it means "When the AirNav laptop is connected to the GPS unit will the GPS hardware allow the AirNav VFR laptop to override the buttons and switches supplied on the GPS unit?"

So, the purpose of these three questions is:

1. Does the GPS talk the same language as AirNav VFR?

2. Is it possible to physically connect the GPS to the AirNav VFR laptop?

3. Will the GPS hardware allow AirNav VFR to control the GPS units software?

Steven.

Adrian,

Could you please clarify what you are trying to do? The 96C has a 'moving map'. Waypoints and Routes can be loaded into it from the flight plans you generate using AirNav VFR.

Alternatively you could take your laptop or netbook into the cockpit and use AirNav's moving map feature. The laptop would have to have a GPS connected which will communicate with AirNav. You could try using the 96C to do that via its USB cable, but it is much easier and cheaper to get a dedicated bluetooth or USB GPS ($96).

now i am confused. one person says yes an the other no 102_wasnt_me.gif.b4992218d6a9d117d3ea68a818d37d57.gif

i have been getting the same response from garmin. i sent them an e mail and they said yes ?

What i am trying to do is the following...

load an AirNav route into the GPS print the WAC of AirNav and fly with the GPS on and follow the WAC.

This is what Garmin say on the site.

Navigate by Air, Land or Sea

GPSMAP 96C's three navigation modes and built-in autorouting basemap let you go from plane to car to boat to hiking boots without missing a beat. With 119 megabytes of memory and a mini-USB port, you can quickly download and store map data from a variety of optional MapSource® products. Add detailed street maps for street navigation. Or, for a great day on the water, customize the waterproof 96C with marine cartography. The 96C also operates on 2 AA batteries, making it easy to use on foot.

Looks like i might buy one and "just see" what happens...

I am pretty sure Sentient had (has?) a separate Pocket PC program that could provide moving maps but you require Windows to run AirNav.

The cheaper and more flexible option is to run Pocket FMS. One license and you can run all three versions of Pocket FMS:

1. A Windows version

2. A Pocket PC version

3. A special version for installation on Pocket PC based navigation hardware

It is pretty cool though I am still leaning towards keeping my AirNav subscription at this point. It gets a bit expensive when you get all the options and it is a bit clunky.

Steven.

Hi Andrew,

Now that you've clearly explained what you want to do - the answer is YES.

Here's what you have to do:

1. Buy AirNav VFR. You will need to decide which map sets you want to buy (I bought the full pack). You DON'T need to buy the moving map option of AirNav VFR as you will not be using it.

2. Buy a Garmin 96C (if that's the one you want to use).

You will be able to do all your flight planning with AirNav VFR and will be able to print out any maps or sections of maps you need. You will also be able to upload the planned route out of AirNav VFR into your Garmin 96C and then activate that route in your Garmin 96C and fly it using the printed maps for primary navigation and the GPS as backup. The Garmin 96C will show you the route and your position relative to it with its internal moving map underneath.

I know this works because I've done exactly that with my Garmin 96C and AirNav VFR.

Steven

The cheaper and more flexible option is to run Pocket FMS.

I'm not familiar with Pocket FMS. How is it better than using OziExplorer CE with Maptrax maps or OziExplorer CE with self scanned and calibrated WACs, VNCs, VTCs, ERC-Ls etc?

Adrian,

You don't need to moving map feature of AirNav because you said that you are going to use AirNav to print out the maps onto paper which you will take with you into the cockpit.

You will then use AirNav to upload the planned flight route into your Garmin 96C and use the Garmin 96C's moving map feature for backup navigation.

Under these circumstances you don't take AirNav into the cockpit at all, that's why you don't need AirNav's moving map feature.

StevenI'm not familiar with Pocket FMS. How is it better than using OziExplorer CE with Maptrax maps or OziExplorer CE with self scanned and calibrated WACs, VNCs, VTCs, ERC-Ls etc?

I don't know that it is better as I am not familiar with OziExplorer!

Steven.

Ah thank you you put into prospective so the moving map feature is for when you have the Laptop in the plane which enables the AirNav software to move... but because the software is in the GPS the GPS moves anyway

sound bout right.... :)

Adrian,You will then use AirNav to upload the planned flight route into your Garmin 96C and use the moving map feature for backup navigation.

Adrian may be thinking of using AirNav's GPS export function but unfortunately it doesn't work unless you buy the GPS (moving map) extension :-( So, we either have to upgrade the license or input the flight plan a second time into the GPS using other means.

As far as I can see this particular GPS doesn't accept flight plans, it just showing your current position on top of a map and it's FlightBook can be used to log flight details, including the GPS route.

The method JayKay outlines is basically what I currently do in FSX, and hopefully soon IRL :-)

Steven.

Steven,

Adrian may be thinking of using AirNav's GPS export function but unfortunately it doesn't work unless you buy the GPS (moving map) extension :-( So, we either have to upgrade the license or input the flight plan a second time into the GPS using other means.

I have a standard licence for AirNav VFR (no moving map option) and I can plan my route in AirNav, print it out and upload it into my Garmin 96C, Garmin eTrex Vista or my Garmin 296C (works with all of them) - no extra licence required.

I don't type anything into my GPS units by hand. AirNav comes with a utility called G7toWin (freely available on the internet - google it) which does the uploading of the route and waypoints at no extra cost. It's part of the standard AirNav package.

Hi Steven,

The cheaper and more flexible option is to run Pocket FMS.

I'm interested in finding out a little more about your experiences with Pocket FMS.

Can you enlighten me re any of the following:

Which basemaps does Pocket FMS use?

Can you use a VTC or VNC or WAC as a basemap?

Can you scan and install your own basemaps?