High oil pressure???

motzartmerv

G'day.. We started up thismorning and got a high oil pressure reading.(rotax 912). The limit is 5 Bars and she went instantly into the red and got to about 8 bars before i could shut it down.. We tried again and the same thing happend.. We burped it again, and again and tried again..this time it read ok untill we fed on some power and it rised again.. we replaced the sender and it didnt make any differance....

Any ideas???

My first thought would be that there is probably not a mechanical condition that would cause high oil pressure, moreso the guage would be there to indicate when you have lost it rather. Maybe it's the guage or wiring at fault? Of course there are plenty of things that could cause low oil pressure 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Merv

I had this on a Golf same configuration.

I under advice went down the poor sender, replace filter, pressure relief etc route.

Checked out the actual pressure by installing a “supercheap” manual gauge to the engine – all was good

Turned out to be an intermittent bad connection due corrosion on the crimp connection on the wire going from sender to gauge

John

Yea, twas my thoughts regarding low pressure...but, there is an upper limit and the guage does go that way for a reason i spose,.. bert flood said prolly the sender, but it wasn't..pressure relief valve coming out tomozza... whats this pressure tester you speak of??

Brent

I have a broken pump shaft about 2.5cm thick on my bench now that occured because a blocked relief valve upstream. Other thing that can cause excessive oil pressure in some configurations wouuld be a clogged oil filter.

should I tell you the dodgy trick for selling old tired engines now -- or later?

GGRRLLL.... the engine was started and ran up thismorning.. A few high speed taxi's... Full power applied...NO problem... the pressure behaved normally...

The chief (ex qantas engineer) is talking about airlocks... how does air get into a closed system??...i aint no engine man, im trying to improve mechanical knowlage...but this just doesn't make sence to me:faint:

I'm no engine man either but I know I once had a race bike that ran a dry sump. I remeber one day having a high oil pressure warning and then a BANG!!! which turned out to be an expensive experience. When the engine was rebuilt and started the same warning showed again. It turned out to be where one of the braided lines had a crack near the external pump. (I know aircrafts would be internal) and it had been drawing air in and then presurising it. A simple $80 line caused $6500 damage.