Fuel Filter

I have just pulled the bottom off my gascolator to give it a clean and I see that it has a flat mesh filter at the top. The size of the mesh will stop marbles and dropped 50cent pieces ect; but filtering it doesn't do!....Can anyone see any reason why I should not fit a paper filter element inside the gascolator? I checked the fuel flow thru' the paper filter and it comfortably flowed 60ltr p.hr. with 300mm head. I tried it again after making the filter wet it reduced the flow somewhat but only by 10% or so. I would prefer a stainless steel filter but can't find one 50mm x 50mm.Any suggestions?

The gaskolator filter has been used for years in GA aircraft without problems. What a filter is supposed to do is stop rubbish which would clog the carbie passages or prevent the needle valve closing. I think it will do that OK.

The paper filters used in a lot of ultralights will filter to finer limits, but they are known to block up sometimes, resulting in fuel starvation. I use a paper filter in my plane, mainly because I had problems locating a gaskolator ahead of the firewall and also problems with the supplied gaskets swelling. I keep a very close eye on fuel quality and change the filter regularly, but amj still wondering if I should have another go with a gaskolator.

Ah, that's the problem, I fitted a fuel flow meter and it NEEDS a fine filter upwind of it, The gascolator will stop water but that's all, The filters are $1.50 so I could renew it weekly. I can't replace the gascolator with a later filtered model without removing the engine! But it's nice knowing you have run ok with a paper filter, Thanks, Geoff