when to overhaul your Rotax 582?

ozzietriker

Hi Folks, I have a quick question regarding when do you overhaul your engine. I have a Rotax 582 fitted to my Airborne Trike and I have done approx 370 hours on it.

By taking a look at the Rotax engine maintenance schedule, it states 300 hrs for TBO, whereas in the Airborne maintenance schedule it states 400 hrs for TBO.

After speaking with some people from the trike/ultralight community, the general concensus seems to be - run them up to 500 hrs and then call it a day.

I would appreciate any helpful comments & opinions that you may have experienced.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all.

tailwinds always!:thumb_up:

Dennis

Guest brentc

Legally speaking after recent mods to the RA-Aus excemptions it can be run 'on condition' for quite some time, subject to compressions and performance etc, however every engine is different. Best off (eg by Contacting Bert Floods) speaking to an expert on the 582 as there are many out there that have done 1,000+ hours without issue as long as top end has been looked after.

• 2 months later...

582 blue-top run regularly (about 100hrs per year or better) should run for at least 700-800 hours before the alternator fails. That's time to put a new engine on. Just use a good 2-stroke oil and make sure your engine is well warmed-up before you give it full welly for takeoff.

Another indicator is a Cyclone bearing test reading of 0.05mm or greater...time for new engine. Factory minimum is 0.03mm, max is 0.08mm. At 0.05mm failure can occur in relatively short time.

Usually the alternator goes before the pistons/crankshaft. The 582 is a very good engine for the money.

Hi Dieselten, thanks & much appreciated - some excellent info/advice of yours. It seems that I am headed in the right direction with my care to the engine as you suggested although I have a grey top 582 not the blue top as you mentioned.

I only use Castrol Active2T oil from day one and only premium unleaded fuel. I also fly about 100-120 hrs a year and run the motor for 10mins each weekend as a minimum if weather is bad for flying so this hopefully should place me in good stead (touch wood).

I warm it up initially at 2500rpm for the 1st minute then bring revs up to 3000rpm until water temp reaches 60'C before heading for heaven.

I recently checked my bearings, front cyl meas 0.02mm play and rear cyl meas 0.01mm which is amazing for a motor that's done almost 400hrs.

I've observed though occasionally a seal is leaking at the bottom of the crankcase toward the front of the motor below the stator/pull start unit but it's very intermittent at this stage.

cheers

Dennis:thumb_up:

Dennis,

The short answer to your leniency question is no. HGFA rules state:

the aeroplane must be maintained in accordance with the maintenance standards set out in the appropriate technical manual.

In your case, the trike manufacturer's (Airborne) TBO will supercede the Rotax TBO, so your overhaul will be due at 400hr.

Your leak sounds like it may be from the forward crankshaft seal. If this is the case, then your engine is going to need that overhaul.

Safe flying

Kev