Photography

Skykid

looks like you have started something here

Dear Skykid,

Looks like you have started something here!

Nice to see great picies from everyone, maybe we need to get them on to the photogallery or maybe at least in the case of non aircraft shots onto our profile pages to show what our other interests are.

Thats some power plant in that car and nice red bull shot 461.

Ian lets get that photo competion happenning again!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Skydog,

It looks like I might of. I think your idea of making a new part of the photogallery. Maybe we should put the idea to the admin?? If you don't mind me asking what photo com is that?? Cause it sounds like fun.

Lazerin: Ahhhhhhh......! I see!! Nice as photos man. I have to get mine up!

Thanks

H :yin_yan:

Geee Guys all these pic's are just awesome:clap: I thought i was a half decent photographer, but i think i better get back to the books:ah_oh:

Crazy D: Am I right about the top photo being the Temora Meteor? Very nice picture:clap: I had all sorts of trouble taking pictures in that shed...

G'Day Tomo, mate photography is all about perception in my opinion. Sure is the Temora Meteor. It is hard in there but just gotta slog it out mate, different angles gives different lighting etc etc. Just shoot as much as you can and you'll get one worth keeping.

INGHAM ENTERPRISES CITATION C650.

I used to do it for a hobby... then it became a career working with the newspapers..

I got my first camera when I was six. I developed my first film when I was nine.

When I worked at the paper, folks used to know where I was by my 'fixer' aftershave.. I took two newspapers into the full digital era, and although I love the darkroom, a digital setup is so much easier.

These days I only pick up the stills camera for myself, the missus and friends. Instead, I just use a video for the news work now.

Ben

www.benlongden.com

Well I just found these older pic's of mine, there not real flash as such. But I found a bit of humor in the way the 747 pic turned out....(looks like its trying to find a place to park!!)

1598536692_DSC06077(Small).JPG.149269b47c7abdde861f45e10e2fa85d.JPG

1536345477_DSC06113(Small).JPG.6bbf7124ea8adbb335360c81c35dc831.JPG

Crazy D: Those photos are mean as!!! Very well done. I agree photography is all about perception. I always try taking my photos from a new angle hoping no one else has tryed it befor. keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif Sometimes it works and other times it don't. Never know unless you try.

Tomo: Also great photography man. Dosen't look like you really need to hit the books, just get back into the game!

Ben Longden: Nice site man. Yeah darkroom is fun and I think doing photos in one gives it more.... Just gives it more if you know what I mean. Digital is great but I will always like my SLR to it.:thumb_up:

Thanks

H :yin_yan:

Skykid, There was a comp going where the monthly winner won a subscription to a flying magazine.

It fell by the wayside but looks like a lot of interest is still around.

Contact admin to put the idea fwd or ask him to take a look at this thread.Ian is his name.

Nice website Ben and lovely work. Like the range and quality.

What still camera gear you using now?

Sorry Ian I know this is meant to be an aviation site.;)

Mostly Nikon digital SLRs... It had to be, as I was using their lenses for years, and they work when used on the digital series.

My favourite is the F4 (film) but for a sheer satisfying, Pi$$-the-pro-golfer-off shutter CLACK, you can't go past the F2 with motor!

The nice thing was doing the sport... my 400mm f2.8 instantly became a digital equivalent of a 600mm! which meant less cropping in the darkroom (or in Photoshop) and this meant better, closeup action piccies.

In my website, there is a pic of a FA18 superhornet doing a topside pass towards camera. To show you how things have progressed, I used a 15 year old Nikon 80-200 zoom on a new digital SLR body, set to full auto (focus, shutter, etc). The FA18 was moving at Mach 0.9 down the runway at Avalon.

I still love the wet darkroom, but when you compare things with digital, such as the time taken to get the finished prints on the bosses desk, you cant beat digital. Especially if you are interstate!

Ben

Speaking of equipment, how about that Canon 5d Mark II? *droool*

Have you guys seen the 1080p movies that this beast is able to do? I reckon Canon have revolutionised the world of cameras. People will no longer need a HD video camera and a DSLR for amazing stills and movies. Granted it depends on your lenses, but it'll be still be cheaper to have a set of superb lenses that one can use for both stills and videos.

Check the quality out:

'Canon EOS 5D Mark II' on Vimeo

Nice juxtaposition there Tomo.

G'day Skydog, thanks for the compliment:thumb_up:, but from what i gather from the word juxtaposition you reckon i've been playing around with photos to make that one? But I ain't, that was taken at Longreach airport standing in the car park.....and the photo is untouched apart from making it B&W.....

Juxtaposition

Tomo, wrong ! dont get so antzy, I meant good juxtaposition as in good positioning in relation to the cars and plane

NOT IN PHOTOSHOP.

I hate photoshopped images in general and prefer skill right out of the lens.

Again, a good shot Tomo.

This is one great camera and I am fortunate to own the earlier model ,5D.

A few Oshkosh images under my profile were taken with this but the ultralight ones in Australia as in this thread are with my point and shoot mostly and a couple with a 300D.Thats because they are easier and lighter to fly with.

Canon are now back on top with digital SLR for sure however the lenses are where the real work is done. I have a 100>400mm L series and a 24> 105 L series plus a 1.8mm 50mm L series. All very good lenses but cost the Earth.

One day I will get the time to just concentrate on taking really good photos, what a luxury.

Hard to beat Nikon for sure.

Great shots at Avalon, that old glass is hard to beat too.

Have you been to Oshkosh?

If not, as a photographer you will surely have a mishap in your pants.

Tomo, wrong ! dont get so antzy, I meant good juxtaposition as in good positioning in relation to the cars and plane NOT IN PHOTOSHOP.

I hate photoshopped images in general and prefer skill right out of the lens.

Again, a good shot Tomo.

No worrys at all skydog, problem was i'd never heard of the word juxtaposition before and didn't know what on earth it meant....:big_grin: so I looked it up on google and well yeah, it said it meant something about layering or whatever, so i just thought you might of thought that i've layered two pic's together or something........;) but all is good:hug:

Thanks again,

Guest basscheffers

I'll throw some in as well, from the Red Bull Air Race Perth 2008.

Next time I'll have to bring a bigger lens! (or more likely, get a tele converter as I seldom have a need for more than 400mm and the 600 ones are a wee bit pricey.)

I've got a couple of boxes of slides from my pre-digital days at Farnborough. Maybe one day I'll get around to sorting and scanning them.

Nikon may be hard to beat, but that says little for the others. Iv'e got a Nikkormat FT2, very old but it still works OK except for a light leak. A Nikon FT2, which fell apart in India within months of buying it and has been repaired several times, now the shutter is siezed up. I bought a digital nikon so I could use my old lenses and except for a 400 lens, the two zooms cover all what my old collection did for normal photography. I still have a bellows Pentax for close up. My main worry is how long it will be before the Nikon digital packs up.

Will try to post a photo or two here sometime.