Getting ready...

Guest Biggles Jr

Guest Biggles Jr

Hi...

I am learning to fly at Merimbula, on the south coast of NSW. As the Cessna 150, the plane that i am learning in is a a GA I would have to wait until my 16th birthday to fly solo (another 12 months). I decided to go to Moruya and do the minimal hours in a skyfox gazelle and go solo on my 15th birthday (1 week away). So i went to Moruya aero club on the weekend and did half hour of theory and half hour of flying (to windy to fly). I have been told by the instructor to come home and study to BAK manual ALL OF IT ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! It is huge and he said most of it would be in the 50 question pre solo test that i would do this weekend.

Can someone please give me an idea on the contents of the test, how hard and what to study...any tips? :thumb_up:091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif

The test you will do has probably been put together by your instructor at Moruya so most of us won't know its contents.My advice is to learn everything in the book,then you can't fail.You still go to school so would find it easy to study.I went from RAAus to PPL at 40 so hadn't studied for over 20yrs,so it was challenging but still possible.

I was at Merimbula for a week over Christmas in an old C182 VH-ICU,we went for a couple of local flights while we were there,it's a great place to fly.Are you learning GA in the early model straight tail C150 parked near the maintenance hangar or is there another one there?You don't see a lot of those fastback models any more.

Im not aware of a pre solo Bak exam... the test is on pre solo air legislation..not BAK although most of what you need will be in the BAK..

The test's are put out by the RAA and are 20 questions (pre solo).. the last 5 questions are written by the school and refere to local aerodrome and conditions...

It is all about things like who gives way to who, basic radio calls and that sort of thing...

And, you can't go solo untill you have a student licence from the RAA..

cheers

It has been windy at Moruya, I was there not long ago!

I'd suggest asking your instructor, maybe give him a call this week and ask for some help.

You WILL need to know all of that huge BAK manual do to your BAK theory test, but that usually comes a bit further down the track, well after your first solo. The pre-solo test is not as hard as the BAK, I can barely remember mine but I think it had procedural questions, radio questions and so on.

Best of luck with going solo on your 15th birthday.

Just read your way through the bak book, doing the practice tests at the end of each chapter. If you have trouble with them, or have to stop and think about any of the questions, go back and read that chapter again.

If your worried about it after you've done that then you might want to hit your instructor up for some practice tests - these can highlight what areas your weak on, and need to revise/learn some more.

good luck!

Guest Biggles Jr

thanks

hey, thanks

I am reading the bak manual, the instructor told me that the test i would have to do (ra aus) is harder than the test my dad did recently in GA.

To the first guy, Merimbula is a nice place to fly and live, my uncle owns the green merimbula air services place and has a red and blue cessna and an awesome cherokee 6.

i have just rung the ra aus place in fyshwick and they will have it back to me by friday, in plenty of time.