So...how do you guys do it??

lazerin

Hey all,

I've always enjoyed viewing inflight videos and I'd like to try my hands at some. What techniques/methods/equipment are you guys using?

Specifically, what method are you guys using to secure your cameras and where abouts are you placing them? I've seen things like the Sticky Pod but they seem a bit costly, is there an easier/cheaper way?

Audio wise, what's the best way to capture intercomm and transmissions? I assume there's an audio splitter cable involved. Any tips on where I can get one?

Cheers!

p.s. for those who want an idea of what I'm talking about: Earning My Wings: a video blog about learning to fly

and another example from here off the top of my head is Ben Longden's vids in the tecnam!

lbarnes, I can see where that'd be handy for RC flying etc, but I'd much prefer to use my own camera. The video quality from the flycam doesn't cut the mustard for me.

I guess I'll just have to get my passengers to work the camera once I get my pax endorsement :thumb_up:

Guest Brett Campany

I know a few guys have asked Brady about what audio visual gear he uses, maybe if you email him or EAA, they'll be able to tell you what set up they have. You can also email Rick on HOME and get some details of him.

Hope that helps

Guest basscheffers

Never done it, but I have mounted cameras in other weird places, so...

There are definitely cheaper suction "tripods" (well, the aren't tripods,but you know what I mean) out there. Google on "suction tripod" or similar. In the sporty that would probably stick to the canopy quite nicely.

Another way is to use a clamp, which could work on the top edge of the panel, or a window frame in some aircraft. Should also be available cheap.

Of course, the smaller and lighter the camera, the easier this is and the lighter the support you need. And you'll need something better for aerobatics than you would need to record your circuits.

And remember that if you place it close to the compas, you can't trust that instrument anymore!

As for audio, luckily we use 60s technology in our headsets as well and the impedance is remarkably close to what you need for a line input (as opposed to modern HiFi headphones) so wiring up a splitter lead should be a piece of cake. Of course you can use a direct lead if you have a spare output on the intercom. Plug it in and adjust the volume to a level the video camera likes and then adjust the volume on the headset for whomerver is using it. If you use a splitter lead, use it on one of the passengers so that if it screws up, at least the pilot has good comms.

And don't forget to use a second mic (if you can) to mix in some of the ambient noise, I hate those videos that are completely silent unless someone is talking. Maybe your camera can mix the internal mic and the line-in. Otherwise a portable audio mixer may be needed.

I know they use some wireless video recording device for the joyflights in the Yak, one recording unit and a couple of cameras. (wingtip, looking at the passenger, looking forward) So ask around, I think "Jolly John" (the guy that owns the Glassair and part of the Yak) is the expert on them.

Good luck!

PS: Once at least one of us is qualified, we can go out and experiment with this stuff together - a lot safer when one person concentrates on flying the aircraft at any time!

FlyCamOne2 AUSTRALIA - New Benchmark of video-recording in microsize[/url]

Now that is cool! Could also be used in a/c cabins on first or subsequent solos, so instructors can check student performance and student gets to keep a record of their first solo....

Guest mike_perth

Well guys I have been putting a bit of thought into this.

I have just set up a system which I leave in my car which uses a scanner and a digital audio recorder to allow me to record clear radio transmissions from the aircraft to tower etc but it obviously dos'nt record the intercom audio which would be nice but the school I fly with have said a flat out NO to using a splitter cable etc of any sort in the aircraft so I was sort of forced to use the scanner method set to appropriate frequency's.

Secondly re video I made my own bracket out of a old in car GPS bracket and a bent up steel bracket to allow me to sunction the camera from the roof of the aircraft (perspex window really) behind my head I then use my cameras remote control to zoom in and out - very difficult to reveiw inflight but after 4 or 5 circuits I usually can edit it all together to form one nice "circuit" with good quality radio audio.

Anyway any questions shoot em at me.

Mike

That FlyCamOne2 looks pretty good Ian, any chance the shop will stock it?regards

Pete

I am actually trialling a pen at the moment - it has a pin hole camera, a mic and plugs into the usb port of your pc to upload up to 2hrs of movie.

You can just have the pen in your top pocket or clipped on somewhere, turn it on and film and use it as a pen as well :big_grin:

I paid about $50 for it and will let you know plus I could have a look at the FlyCamOne2 for the shop as well

Guest Brett Campany
PeteI am actually trialling a pen at the moment - it has a pin hole camera, a mic and plugs into the usb port of your pc to upload up to 2hrs of movie.

You can just have the pen in your top pocket or clipped on somewhere, turn it on and film and use it as a pen as well :big_grin:

I paid about $50 for it and will let you know plus I could have a look at the FlyCamOne2 for the shop as well

Nice, I'd be keen for something like that!

Bas, I didn't even think of a clamp! That's a good idea. I've seen some "suction pods" on ebay but I'm not convinced about their holding power. I might trial one eventually though, see how it goes. A strong suction pod would be ideal to allow placement virtually anywhere, since the sportstar is all canopy.

Something like this looks ok: Strong Suction Mount.

Guys, as there's a bit of interest in an easy portable device, a really good small video recorder is the Flip Video. It's even available in a HD version. It's a bit more pricey though.

For the mount, I use either a small tripod (about 18 inches long when folded) and mount the camera on that in the appropriate spot. I use this a lot for in car work. Secured with gaffer tape.

I also use a portable DVD player mount (Jaycar) that is designed to clamp a small screen to the rear of a headrest in a car. With the Tecnam, this clamp allows for 'easy' mounting. Once done switch on the image stabilisation in the camera.

The easiest way to get the sound is to borrow an aviation headset, place a lavalier mic in the earcups and gaffer tape the headset together. Plug that into the intercom as usual. Plug the other end of the mic into the aux mic input on the video camera. This is usually a 3.5mm phono plug. If its a canon three pin XLR, then an adaptor can be found at trickey dickey (Or make your own).

When you go to edit the vision, you will find you will still have to play with the audio levels even though the compressor has adjusted them.

HTH

Ben

Just had a brain wave...you know those suction handles that window/class people use, they'd be strong and easy to attached/detach, and you could just attached you camera on it somehow pretty easily i'd have to imagine...not sure where you'd get em from though...

:big_grin:

Just had a brain wave...you know those suction handles that window/class people use, they'd be strong and easy to attached/detach, and you could just attached you camera on it somehow pretty easily i'd have to imagine...not sure where you'd get em from though...:big_grin:

Here we go: 4.5"SUCTION PAD

Looks like it'll only work best on a flat surface though.