AUF instructors endorsement

Guest Guest

G'day Guys,

I am currently looking to do my instructors endorsement in Rec. I have all of the hours/qualifications needed,and aircraft.Does anyone know about the 20 hour ground instruction course? Is it a difficult process?

and does anyone suggest any training facilities for the ground instruction course???

Cheers

Sam

The ground component will be covered as part of the course. I do not believe it is that difficult just gives you an outline on how to "teach" and different ways to approach problems.

I'd recommend Airwings with Wally Rudin. Good bloke who will take the time to get things right and won't rip you off. When I started looking I found it hard to find people who where interested in teaching IR's which is a real shame.

Adam.

Thanks Adam,

I have heard a lot about Wally, I might give him a call. It is a shame, as we all know Rec is well on the increase from GA, there is going to be a huge market for conversions and New students wanting to fly.. its the new generation.. We need to get more of a broader range of instructors to cover the areas.

cheers

Sam

Hi All

Murray Bridge Flying School in South Australia run 4 Day Theory Course's for the RA-Aus Instructor Rating, including PMI. Contact 08 8531 1744. Accomodation & Hire Car available.

Regards

Ed Ed Herring

Yes I actually just read that in the syllabus, Oh well I'll make a few more enquiries and find myself a good instructors.. 90 percent shouldnt be too difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is probably not what people want to hearBUT doing an instructor rating in 20 hours air time and 30 hours in class is really very very minimal.

When I did my initial instructor rating it took 8 weeks full time and 50 hours air time.

This might be a bit over the top for RAAus but don't go looking for the quickest cheapest instructor rating. Look for the best!

Guest In-cog-neto

I agree with Blueline. In the GA world, I have had to almost re-train instructors from scratch because they went the cheap and nasty option.

On the other hand Bateo, sometimes cheap is'nt always nasty so i would do some asking around before committing yourself.

I would also suggest you sit down with a few good books on principles of flight and really bone up on your theoretical knowledge. I sure all yourinstructors out would agree.

In-cog

Thanks Guys,

Yes I have doing a bit of research and realise that 30 hours seemed too minimal for me. Although, I am hoping that my GA background will really help in recreational flying

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetgirl

Another thing to consider is how many instructors the person doing the training has taught. Are they well considered int he industry etc? You don't want someone who has done 1 or 2 instructor ratings based on how they were taught when they did theirs.

Jetgirl

• 2 weeks later...

I've probably got slightly warped feeling towards instructing as my father was a gliding instructor for years, and I just got the impression it was hard work.

Once I'd learnt to fly gliders, some of the club executive were hinting towards sending me to an instructors course, but I declined as I just enjoyed local flying and taking the odd passenger.

When I got into ultralights, my abilities were recognised (I can talk a lot!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif ) and I was tempted with the promise of free flying. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

That was good enough for me.

As soon as I started instructing though, the first thing I noticed was how much I could do, but couldn't explain.

I also began to realise that I needed to draw an my previous ten years worth of flying to help people with odd little flying misconceptions that were holding them back in their training.

You then get time to see all the little mistakes you used to make yourself.025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

My suggestions for instructing would be, don't get into it for the money (what money? :;)4: ), don't try to do it for PRESTIGE, and certainly don't do it to get lots of flying, the students are supposed to do that.

Think of an instructor like a surgeon, do you want a 21 year old know-all straight out of uni and still trying to figure which is the sharp end of a scalpel, or an older GP that's seen a few things before turning to operating?

Another point to consider is that your flying has to be natural, and that most of instructing is not the flying, but the way you can interact with different personalities, explain the same thing from at least three different angles, and judge just how far to let a person get out of their control without getting out of your control. :ah_oh:

Mantra; 'Let me help you',018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif not 'Let me show you how good I am' :clown:

Arthur.

Guest pelorus32

Hi Arthur,

this thread's taken an interesting turn! I don't know much about aviation instruction apart from having been on the end of a bit of it. However I do know a bit about training people.

Let's take hold of your surgeon: How did she learn to be a good surgeon? Well it was from an instructor or instructors. It's as well known in medicine as anywhere else that there are great surgeons who are crap instructors, crap surgeons who are great instructors (not quite but you get the drift) etc.

The important bit for me is that you can learn something from nearly every instructor. The question is did you learn it because of their fabulous instructing technique or in spite of it and was it a pleasurable experience? I'm pretty keen on people whose vocation is to help others to learn. A key bit of this is quiet confidence in their own ability and a humility and a wish to see the student do well.

In another life I spent a number of years training some of the best research academics in Australia to use complex data analysis tools. These people knew more about all sorts of arcane things than you and I could ever dream of. The key to helping them learn how to effectively analyse their data however was to keep asking questions about what they were doing and why. The aim being to help them to understand the process of learning that they were going through and thus to make their learning robust. I knew nothing about all the good stuff that they knew about but I could help them greatly in learning how to understand the process of analysing their data and understanding their own learning patterns.

A guy called David Kolb proposed that in order to be a "good" learner you had to understand the process of learning that was going on. He proposed a little cycle - the Kolb Cycle - that said that the steps of learning are 1. Gathering information (Diverging) 2. Ordering that info (Assimilating) 3. Making sense of it (Converging) 4. Acting on it (Accommodating)....which led to a new opportunity to gather more info. Helping people firstly go through a cycle like that and then to be aware of that cycle in their learning is a really powerful way of getting better learning and of helping people to continue to learn without the instructor present. Poor learners get into "See-Do" mode. Jumping from step 1 to 4 without thought.

The simple questions are: What? (Step 1 - the experience) So what? (Steps 2&3) What now? (Step 4 - in other words what am I going to do about it?).

Think about a stall exercise: "I'm going to demonstrate a stall. Remember that we've discussed that the a/c stalls at a given aoa. What we are going to do is to slowly bring the stick back like this and observe what the a/c does as we do that...feel the buffet, now we're stalled...the nose dropssee that and the left wing a little bit...we pick that up with rudder, ease the stick forward full power and slowly out. (Step 1)

Now let's walk through what happened. As we pulled the stick back the a/c slowed down and it was harder and harder to hold level, remember the aoa is the angle between the chord line and the relative air flow so as we slowed down remember our lift equation? We had to increase the aoa to make up for the decreas in airspeed and to maintain the same lift. Remember that maximum lift is achieved at around the critical aoa, so's the stall! So as the aoa increased near critical we got buffet - why do you think that we got buffet? That's right it was the turbulent air from the wings hitting the tail surfaces - that's a warning that the stall is imminent...(Steps 2 and 3)Now you try one - thinking about your elevators as setting your aoa - slowly increase your aoa - notice that the pitch attitude doesn't necessarily increase as much as you think it might with all that elevator pressure...there's the buffet...now the stall and then we pick that wing up ease forward and full power...(Step 4)

Now let's try the same thing in a turn....."(Step 1...)

You get the drift and sorry about my awful patter. Another of the important things in that lesson is that we are working on the generalisable nature of bits of info like "stalls are about aoa" we can show you that in power off flight, power on flight, turns...etc.

The interesting thing about CASA's instructors' bible is that it tends to tell instructors what they should do, rather than focus on the process that they are trying to set up. So instructors who should be involved in meta-learning - learning about learning - tend to be engaging in implementation of a learned process.

Rant over!!!

Regards

Mike

Guest micgrace

Hi Mike

I'd definately agree on the learning component after suffering at the hands of some very obviously talented lecturers who didn't actually have a clue about learning processes and leftto you to figure out the why, and the trail of reasoning to get there which, without,is rather hard to do extra well or, even to understand whats going on.

Micgrace

How much there is to this subject. To have the knowledge to impart is one thing, to get it across in the appropriate form effectively is everything. Every student is different,with skills & attitudes which may help or hinder the learning process, providing an enormous challenge to the instructor, as aspects of an unsound skills & knowledgebase can persist & compromise the performance of an individual into the future,if unchecked. N......