Fuel pump oil leaks

jeffcb52

I have a lot of trouble with oil leaking from under the mechanical fuel pump gaskets/spacer.

I am diligent about tightening, use loctite etc.

The problem seems to be that over time the plastic spacer deforms and allows everything to come loose. Repeated tightening to stop the oil seeps eventually cracks the spacer across the bolt hole, causing a much more serious oil leak.

Anyone else had the problem?

I am wondering whether an aluminium spacer would solve the problem, or would that cause some other problem.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

On some motors yes you can, however you need the spacer to be exactly the same thickness as the plastic one because that could be used to adjust the pumps stroke length and therefore pump pressure. The one we made was very slightly thicker and the pump pressure jumped 2 psi, not a great deal but enough to make us take care next time. it took some extra machining to get that right, you can also over stretch the return spring in the pump behind the diaphragm with over pressuring, some springs are fun to change too:yuk:.

Bob.

Hi Tomo,

we tried that too but it is the plastic aging because of the heat, then cracking, there is some apparently that are plastic and will resist the heat longer but you will need to dredge all through the auto supply warehouses and suppliers to find them. It was quicker to get one made in aluminum.

Bob.