Hazardous Attitudes lead to renter suspension

Thought that some of you may be interested in this. Seems like a Kangaroo Court to me and not the appropriate way to deal with an issue like this. I've never thought a suspension as a course of action - either a chat, dual check, a more comprehensive "Pilot Proficiency Programme" or "go away".

To Gran-Aire renter pilots and student pilots:

At the end of October a Gran-Aire renter pilot violated our rental rules. Initially I suspended his rental privileges for a minimum of 60 days so I could evaluate the situation and decide if the suspension should be lifted or if a complete termination was in order.

This pilot has asked to meet with me now that 60 days has passed. Still undecided on his fate, I asked if he would be open to a “peer review†or “jury of his peersâ€. I asked him to write an article describing the events that led to the suspension and use a similar format to AOPA’s “Never Again†www.aopa.org/pilot/never_again publications for your review and comments. He agreed without hesitation and submitted the article within hours. If you are interested in providing comments, please respond by this Friday January 16th. I will keep your comments anonymous. I intend post them at the same link as the article (without names) on Saturday. My goal in this is twofold, to get closure on this pilot’s state of affairs and for you to learn as well. His article is available below:

More at Hazardous Attitudes lead to renter suspension - Windows Live

As a footnote - a PPL in the USA includes night flying and a night VMC rating is not required.

Maybe the suspension was used as a means to get the pilot to see the error of his ways, but to also allow the CFI to try and get him to see things sensibly.

It may be that after doing something stupid and being suspended, he will be amenable to reason. At least the CFI hasn't given up on him and pushed him onto another FBO, who would have no history to go by, in fact by looking at his log book he would appear to be more experienced than he really is.