Get Into Avalon East ?

If you can crank that baby to 130 knots you can call at 1,500 ft. That ought to impress them.

I'll be doing that if I have greater than 2 POB as when I'm heavy the rear end sags at 90 knots.

Avalon East Jabiru Zulu Mike X-Ray Heavy reporting Little River Mouth 1500FT ;)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to Clarify somthing Brent,

you say "as they please" this is only BEFORE the airshow. whilst the "AIRSHOW" is happening f16's doi'n stuff Etc we are grounded. but when they pack up for the day and we want to go home it is a free for all, still with GAAP procedures. So on saturday 14 i can fly in between sun up on CTAF® or between 0700-1000 on GAAP procedures, then the airshow starts we get to sniff JET A-1 all day and i can fly out When the days flying is finished which is a gazetted time of 1600 but as Graham said it might go into a slight overtime just beware. the days flying for my day saturday will be finishing 1600 gazetted and TWR for Avalon East will be 1600-1900 of which will be GAAP rules, we can fly out in these times but anyone can fly out after 1700 as it will be CTAF® obviousely untill sundown unless you drifter is night rated 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif

Not quite Adrian. I'm fairly certain that you can come and go as you please at any time throughout the day and you can leave at any time. Because the crowd is between Avalon East and the main Avalon runway, the display aircraft don't come anywhere near Avalon East so you are free to come and go whenever which is why it's absolutely critical to not fly past the orange marker in the paddock when you line up for final, otherwise you might get a nasty surprise coming towards you in your little persex window!

Hi Brent, I did actually ask the Question to Graham about this and he said between the designated TWR hours only for Raa, BUT..... having said that you might as you said earlier get away with it by seeing the tower prior to departure and asking nicely.

Ok, well that's interesting as it's not what Mike Dance said. He said the exemption was for the restricted area to allow ultralights to operate in it. In theory, no exemption is needed anyway, as I was saying it's worded wrong and should have said 'ultralight certificated pilots.' Either way, I'm 99.9% certain that anyone can come and go as you please, or atleast I certainly have done that in previous years.

Guest JRMobile

Hi Brent, Re "anyone can come and go as you please"

AIP Sup H01/09 (YAVE)

Section 5.2

Unless special arrangements have been made with ASDU, operations at YAVE are only permitted during YAVE TWR hours.

Still confused! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Hi Brent, Re "anyone can come and go as you please" AIP Sup H01/09 (YAVE)

Section 5.2

Unless special arrangements have been made with ASDU, operations at YAVE are only permitted during YAVE TWR hours.

Still confused! 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Yes.... but the tower is open pratically all day..... 7 to 7 from memory (or whatever the PDF says), so unless you're coming in outside these times, then no problems!

I assure you it's all pretty easy, just cruise in, call at the approach point, get your clearance to land and land. Catch the bus and pay your $35 or whatever it is and enjoy your day. When you have had enough of the noise, dust, crowds and sunburn, head out, catch the bus, crank up, taxi out, call the tower, get your clearance to land and get the hell home ;)

So ..... just to be clear, I notice that you are all referring to the LRM arrival point.

Can an RAA aircraft arrive via Anakie to the Barwon Prison Arrival Point and get over to Avalon East, or is arrival from that side just for Avalon Main?

And thanks Brent, for the offer to fly my aircraft in for me. You are a real mate.

Regards Geoff

I've had another look Geoff and it looks like you can only come in from Little River, or a little more south from down near Barwon Heads. If you are hoping to come in from Lethbridge out to the W/NW then you are out of luck and are up for a bit of a detour around to the north then in via Werribee direction.

Anakie and Barwon prison appears to only be for Avalon main.

The minimum requirement to get the "freebies" on offer is to display your aircraft Fri, Sat and Sun. (13th -15th inc.) You can fly out late Sunday, but it's a bit hectic. I plan to fly out early Monday. (and arrive 1600 hours on the Thursday)

Did this two years ago and it was a real hoot. FREE campsite (for four bods) at Laura sports ground, local scout group provided brekky, extra showers and toilets bought in, Laura Sports Club is right there for a cold one and they run a cheap outside BBQ or dine inside at very reasonable rates.

Free bus shuttle runs every two hours or so and is brilliant. You get 4 free passes (one for you and three "crew") for each of the three days (fully transferrable between your invited guests) there are a few give aways (sew on badges and aircraft participation certificate) as well.

You must register your interest (www.airshow.com.au) and they basically invite you to attend. Grass strip (18R -36L) 500 meters west of the main runway (designated 18L - 36R) for duration of airshow. Grass strip was a little rough (2007) and we asked for permission to depart from the main runway (18L) (on Monday) We were given the OK and away we went - fantastic.

Download the AIP (SUP) H01/09 dated 15th Jan 2009 and have a good read.

regards

Hi Captain, Avalon East Has only 1 Approach point Raa can use it is LRM. If you try to use any other Approach Point A F16 Is deployed and will shoot you down before you get any further in 113_im_with_stupid.gif.c7998083611453eb404ccd147fef8c5f.gif 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

And for Everyones Information Avalon East Tower times are 0700-1900 as per Air sup.

Hi Captain, Avalon East Has only 1 Approach point Raa can use it is LRM. If you try to use any other Approach Point A F16 Is deployed and will shoot you down before you get any further in 113_im_with_stupid.gif.c7998083611453eb404ccd147fef8c5f.gif 114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gifAnd for Everyones Information Avalon East Tower times are 0700-1900 as per Air sup.

Thanks again for that ........... and I assume that we can only approach the LRM approach point from the north, as the approach photos indicate that heading south from LRM is actually downwind for 35 ... is that correct?

Based on those photos I also assume that if we are landing on Avalon East 17, we will be directed to go straight onto base from LRM? is that right too?

It's the same approach point, you just go left or right depending on which runway direction you want to use. There are two runways parallel so you just get directed to the least busy one.

If you have a Visual Flight Guide (VFG) and look up GMH approach point, it's the same for 17L / 35R at Moorabbin, you just turn left or right at the approach point depending on the runway you want.

If you're not sure Captain give me a bell and I'll sort you out, however I assure you that you'll have no problems. The 90 knot speed thing is a good idea too as you will come up on the field fairly quickly.

Thanks again for that ........... and I assume that we can only approach the LRM approach point from the north, as the approach photos indicate that heading south from LRM is actually downwind for 35 ... is that correct?Based on those photos I also assume that if we are landing on Avalon East 17, we will be directed to go straight onto base from LRM? is that right too?

Yes and yes. Hopefully I explained this properly in my previous post above.

Coming into LRM from along the coast (from the East) is the easiest way, however keeping in mind that Point Cook is restricted for 3 miles. Depending on what time you are coming in it's just as easy to follow someone else. Don't follow a 152 though as you'll have the flaps out to full trying to go as slow as he does.

Display Aircraft

Peter,

I am also putting my aircraft on dispaly for the three days, and taking in all of the benifits.

There is bit of mucking around to get registered and so forth, and with it only being six weeks away now, I am getting very excited about the hole trip.

I have been over and over the arrival and departure procedures and one thing that is very apparent is don't speak until spoken to. So much so that the Barwon West tower initially only want aircraft to respond with a wiggle of the wings.

There is alot to organise but I think my biggest hurdle was getting permission to leave my wife and kids for 6 or 7 days. So at the moment I am busy with out complaint doing alot of those little jobs that never get done around the house.

I am flying down from Dalby in south east QLD, so we will be looking to stay somewhere along the way. At the moment we are lookig at getting to Echuca, and then flying in on Thursday morning to Avalon. We also will probably depart on Monday morning.

Anyway Peter I hope I can catch up with you down there.

Harthy

Peter,I am also putting my aircraft on dispaly for the three days, and taking in all of the benifits.

There is bit of mucking around to get registered and so forth, and with it only being six weeks away now, I am getting very excited about the hole trip.

I have been over and over the arrival and departure procedures and one thing that is very apparent is don't speak until spoken to. So much so that the Barwon West tower initially only want aircraft to respond with a wiggle of the wings.

There is alot to organise but I think my biggest hurdle was getting permission to leave my wife and kids for 6 or 7 days. So at the moment I am busy with out complaint doing alot of those little jobs that never get done around the house.

I am flying down from Dalby in south east QLD, so we will be looking to stay somewhere along the way. At the moment we are lookig at getting to Echuca, and then flying in on Thursday morning to Avalon. We also will probably depart on Monday morning.

Anyway Peter I hope I can catch up with you down there.

Harthy

If your looking for a travel buddie to go with you......;)

Just foolin' Adrian. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I'm on the opposite side of town to you who is offering a ride. :) Flying in would be great, and for those going that way, have a great and safe day and journey. However, I will be there. Have arrangements with a few friends to taxi on down on the long tarmac on either the Sat or Sun.024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif