Big test next week. What can I expect?

moy71

I am nearing the 20 hours min before a licence is issued. My instructor told me that he will be booking the CFI next week for my final test.

For those who have already taken this test, what can I expect? How long generally does the test last for? Any surprises I should be aware of?

Many thanks for the input.

Cheers.

nature of test.

If you are doing it in the minimum time you must be rather good. I cannot give you any advice on that as I'm sure it varies a lot.

Have a think about what YOU personally would want to test a pilot on so that that pilot would be good enough to take your wife or kid(s) up. That's asking a bit isn't it?

I was just trying to make you think. It also depends a lot on what type of aircraft you are flying. What about a good comprehensive pre-takeoff briefing? mention what fuel you have on board. (endurance).and what you expect to do if things go pear-shaped.

A steep turn figure of eight with good height, speed, and throttle control would be nice, (shows that you can fly the thing.) Remember it is YOUR check. The other pilot is there to assess you. You can still ask him to look out for other traffic, as that is a safety matter.

Normally before you go for the check with your CFI. the instructor should go over all sequences and if there are any aspects of them that you are unsure about, sort it out then.. Good luck. ( You make your own luck) Nev..

I know this is going to sound a bit odd but.... An hour before a test, on an empty stomach I eat an apple and a banana, then 15 min before i drink a can of coke. though not really good for you, it will give you just enough caffeine and sugar to function well with out getting the jitters.

All my mates I have suggested it to now swear by it.

An edge is an edge as they say, good luck and let us know on this thread how you go.

Guest pelorus32

G'day Moy71,

I wouldn't worry too much about this. No doubt your instructor has been doing revision with you over the past few weeks - making sure that all the necessary stuff is cemented securely in your brain.

What you can expect of the test is that the testing officer (?the CFI?) will want to work you through a series of activities to ensure that you can safely pilot the aircraft. You can also expect that you will be asked some questions on air law, loading, and operational aspects of the particular a/c type.

What would you expect - that is what would you want to know that you know well? You will almost certainly get to do some steep turns. More than likely a stall sequence, some unusual attitude recovery, a forced landing or two, a prec search maybe, a couple of landings in different configs, an EFATO, a couple of crosswind landings, maybe a glide approach.

I've seen the test take 2 weeks - that is split over a couple of sessions with some revision in the middle and I've seen it take a bare 35 minutes plus some questioning.

Most of the time testing officers these days are fair and reasonable people who want to ascertain that you are safe and competent. That means that they have the same goals as you!! Rare is it to be put up for the test if you aren't well and truly ready for it.

Let us know how you go.

Regards

Mike