My 3rd Big Nav

Adrian Lewer

Hi all went on a big 'ish trip yesterday. Departed Ballarat and tracked over Lethbridge, from there tracked over my model Aircraft Club at bacchus marsh, tracked to the Altona baseball stadium, then out to the bay, round to HMAS Cerberus and imediately climbed to 3500Ft. Switched over to Moorabbin Freq, and was about to let them know of my Intentions when I was greeted by Moorabbin Tower Abusing me. (Had my Xponder on) Was not in there airspace but they had a problem with me not reporting my position.(which is fair enough but hey I am not a punching bag) So after I appologized and told them it was my first time Coastal 091_help.gif.c9d9d46309e7eda87084010b3a256229.gif they where a little more obliging. I intended to track over the top of Moorabbin but was asked to track to Frankston then on to tooradin.

Arrived at tooradin where we had a cuppa and a rest. Not long after I was able to meet Brent and his better half.

Watched a few Parachute jumps and a few students in the Jab's then it was off to Marther point, then coastal to Point Nepean then Under the step to Deakin Uni, onto Lethbridge where we had a stop another cuppa, Chat.... then it was back to Ballarat. A round trip of 3.1 Hours.

We stayed for a while at Ballarat to plan the little trip to return Ians Gazelle to its new home in Bacchus Marsh then I departed With My mate following in the car. 1 hour no the knocker and i was shutting down out front of the Gazelle's new Home.

All of my planning the night before was top notch and although there was buggar all wind there was still a sea breeze around and i did have to adjust my flight plan in some places but never once got off track, hell I was even on time to all of my waypoints 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Which is a big thing for me.

Now all i need is my own plane so i can stop paying so much money to hire them...

Guest Brett Campany

Nice little run mate. I've been told by the guys at work that if you ring the tower of any airfields that you may come close to, for you I suppose Moorabbin is one to call up, ring them before you leave and tell them of your intentions, that way, they'll be kind of expecting you before you enter. Then call them up well before you enter their airspace.

Might have been one of those days though, we were returning from Busselton today in the Dornier and the Perth radar guys was getting really irate with a number of pilots.

Sounds like you had a good trip and some new experiences. A trick for new players with Moorabbin (and all GAAPs) is the requirement to be on the GAAP tower frequency and contact the tower with your intentions if you are or plan to track within 3nm of the airspace boundary. This is where Moorabbin can get you if you plan to track "coastal" and yet remain outside the GAAP zone - you'll be within 3nm of the boundary and thus required to be on the correct frequency and contact the tower with intentions.

The other trick is to listen to the ATIS. Moorabbin has an East and West side with a frequency for each. Listening to the ATIS tells you which one you need to call on so as to avoid some embarrasment when flying past.