raaus to ppl

kfowler

I am just doing this now,

I am up to GFPT after a few hours only, what you'll find is alot of BULLXXXX that is required for your GA medicals etc etc. I am doing a commercial so my medical was a bit more involved but still a pain in the backside.

I am doing it with a guy in Ballina from Aussie air charter and flight training. Andrew there is very compassionate towards those that wish to convert from RA so give him a call if your close. Very fair no bullXXXX straight shooting guy.

Mike

Guest Cloudsuck
:thumb_up: hi all has anybody gone from raaus cert to ppl if so what was involvedthanks keith:help:

Depends who you go with. For me it was 30 hours of flying and $8,500. His company should have been called Ned Kelly aviation.

Guest Brett Campany
1 practise flight into and out of CTA a few times, and then the flying test.. All up, about 5 hours.. and the cyber exam of course..

Well that doesn't sound too hard, might give it a shot after I log about 100 hours or so.

Guest Cloudsuck
Gee did you have many RA hours before you started?Mike

About 100, all tailwheel. The company was basically a rip off. The owner is now dead and the Chief Pilot is under investigation.

There's no minimums Tomo. The actual training is not a transferable thing. The hours that you fly in RAA count toward minimum 40 hours flying experience for the PPL. The advantage of starting RAA is that the flying is cheaper. When you begin the PPL training, the instructor can in theory deem that your RAA training has been totally useless and begin all over again from the begining. He just can't legally say that you have to complete the 40 hours minimum. This is why you have to be careful which FTF you go to. Some instructors are young and will just put you through a set regime and not really know how to tell if you are capable or not and therefore ready for the test. And then there are the old guys that will never see 'ultralights' as real flying and do the same. But I think its getting better. Motz's experience has to be the best i've heard of and the way it should be these days. That is of coarse if your training has been done to a professional level. You may find that the GA training will cover many things that you have never done. And in that case you will need the extra time to get up to the CASA set level for PPL.

This is somewhere that RAA is still in the process of improving. The 'old school' FTFs only gave there students the bare minimum for basic tube and fabric 60kn flying. If you have only recieved that level of training, you can hardly expect to do a quik 5 hour PPL conversion.

I should add also, for clarification that you can be trained to a professional level in rag and tube type aircraft. It's not about the aircraft as much as the instructors training process. Getting some time in a faster type does help as well, just in getting used to the quicker circuits and approach speeds and in some cases more complex instruments etc.

Guest Brett Campany

So if you get to do your PPL through the same school and instructor who did your RAA Cert, then you might have the upper hand it it might not cost you as much.

Guest sypkens

Hi,

I am also thinking of doing my ppl. I have a few questions on this if somebody can provide some advice?

1) I am hoping to do my theory through an accelarated course due to time constraints. Is this a good approach?

2) Can anybody recommend a flight school in the Brisbane / Gold Coast area that can assist with a Raa to ppl conversion?

Thanks for any advice.

Jan

• 3 months later...
Guest Scout driver

Jan asked "

is an accelerated course a good idea"That all depends on your own personal learning style - they suit some people and are useless for others. If the theory for your RA-Aus ticket was done in a way you enjoyed, use the same method with the PPL syllabus. The major difference is the on-line exam and this is often more difficult than the set papers that RA-Aus uses, so you nee some practice with theis style of question. In theory RA-Aus uses the Day VFR syllabus, but there may well be a different emphasis.

As for a flying school, if you learnt with a good school that teaches for both qualifications you would not go far wrong - but I can't say what the people in your area do.

Scout driver:rotary:

Guest mike_perth

I know this thread is really a re-hash of what has already been discussed before but as I actually said to Brett today there are a few schools here in WA at Jandakot that I inquired with said that their rule of thumb for a conversion was that basically 2 hours of RAA equated to 1 hour GA

So its basically cover the controlled airspace, advanced stalling, incipient spin recovery, instrument flight, which they both said equates to between 5 and 10 hours depending on the student plus anything else the instructor deems neccesary. Plus obviously the PPL flight test both theory and practical (another 2 hours in the air)

Two of the Three scholls also suggested that a cross country might be needed if they felt you wernt up to ppl standard on the nav stuff.

Thus after all of this plus some advice from some of the people on PPrune I went down the ppl path as I was a little concerned it might end up being a more costly exersise for me in the long run.

But get the right school and things could be a lot easier

Yea its a real shame how some schools approach the conversion. A lot of schools are training in VH rego'd ultralights, jabs, sportstas etc now days. If you can hook onto one of them you'd be set. Stepping up into heavier acft post PPL is really no big issue, its going the other way that causes the problems. As others have said, finding the right FTF is essential..

good luck:thumb_up: