Summer vs Winter flying

moy71

During summer I've noticed that after midday, you can pretty much expect bumpy conditions due to thermals and wind.

Generally speaking, can I expect better conditions in winter when there is no heat/thermals? Or does winter flying present a new set of bumpy conditions? What about spring and autumn?

Thank you.

A lot of it depends on where you live, but generally summer afternoons = bumpy ride. Spring is usually windy...and therefore bumpy. Autumn is generally the best time of year to fly. Winter is dependant on where you live. Melbourne it's usually cloudy, drizzly but smooth if you can get up. Canberra was beautiful for flying in winter - clear crisp days...cold but generally very still conditions. Kyneton I've found to be similar to Canberra, being on the other side of the range means you get those clear crisp days while the other side of the range is under fog & cloud.

Winter is best up here, pleasant temperatures, little cloud and less wind than Summer, Spring and Autumn are also good, dry, not much cloud. Summer is hot and can have a lot of cloud and rain. I think during the last year there were only a couple of weekend days when I couldn't fly due to weather. The last two days have been no go, but Monday was great.

Guest mike_perth

I agree with Bretts comments winter is good in Perth clear cool smooth air and some really nice days of flying to be had - to be 100% honest Ive spent more time watching the weather hoping for a nice day in Summer than I did in Winter