Twin Otter quick decent

Admin

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder what rate of descent it actually is??

I know the DHC-2T Viking Turbo Beavers can descend at in flight idle, holding 125kts, at 9000fpm

That'd get your ears popping! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

A return trip to 12,000ft with 10 jumpers on board, can be done in about 12 minutes.

Guest ozzie

Tomo,

I this shot this footage back in '93. if the air was reasonably smooth you could hold VNE all the way down. Giving around 5000' per minute decent rate. The tandem landing at the end was the same one that you saw exiting at height. You set the engines up on the Otter to keep the T5 temps in 'The Green' to stop them from flaming out. (oops). This Video was not a fast decent as far as time goes we messed around to much with the steep turns but were still beat them down. normally i have half the refuel complete and the next load boarding as the tandems were landing.

The Garrett powered Beaver VH-AAX does wheels off to door open at FL140 in 9 mins 47sec. and is on the ground before the experienced jumpers. similar with the Porter with the -27 PW engine. I have been chased by both aircraft from exit to 10,000ft on several occassions.

Ozzie