Pusher Style Nose Profiles

gofastclint

I was reading some articles on pusher aircraft like the Long EZ and came across an interview of an aerodynamisis who when asked about the best nose profile for a pusher style said "If the aircraft is supersonic the pointy nose is best but for subsonic a curved nose tapering off to a trailing point is best.

This got me thinking as to what the best nose would be for high speed subsonic flight.

Some streamliner motorcycles are getting great results in the wind tunnels Bub Streamliner Seven and Bonneville LSR Land-Speed Record Motorcycle Racing

I also saw that the f1 pylon racer "Pushy Cat" and noticed it still holds a few FAI records.

Does anyone have any pics of, or articles on subsonic high speed nose profiles? Or on new development of canard prop pusher high speed aircraft.

performance pusher prop.

It is surprising that propeller efficiency is anywhere near as high as it is, but you sure compromise it when you put it behind an aeroplane fuselage.. I know the eze does it but....

Pushers have a big problem with Cof G, needing great care with pilot weight/location. and if they are tricycle gear, will sit on their tail when you exit the aircraft, UNLESS you locate the main gear well back (which then causes nosewheel damage because of the main gear location so far back that the pitch forward on initial ground contact, cannot be controlled by the elevators) a la Vampire. Nev..

For nose section profiles look no further than modern German Sailplane design. The principle idea is to maintain laminar flow as long as you can.

The original Ez and Eze shapes were not ideal, some in the know corrected that.

Pusher props are often more efficient than tractor types, C337 is a simple demonstration of the fact as the rear works best as I understand.

The Piaggio (check spelling) is a good example of how to get it right.