Subaru Engine For Free!

gofastclint

I love Subaru engines and like reading about people who successfully install them in aircraft.

I have a simple formula that will get you a Subaru long motor that is well suited to aviation for free or as close to free as possible.

This is how it works.

It combines 2 engines, the EJ22 and the EJ25.

The 22 block is a closed deck design that is very strong and well suited to drag racing. Many drag and track racers use this bottom end as the base for their builds, the only problem for them is the single can head is restrictive compared to the twin cam found on the 25. The EJ25 is an open deck, that while great in stock form is not as good for an all out race motor.

Get to the point you say? Well a lot of races buy a complete EJ25 motor just so they can use their twin cam heads on the EJ22 bottom end.

Quite often the EJ25 twin cam heads sell for the same cost as the complete EJ25 Long motor, so buy the EJ25 engine, remove the heads and sell them for the price you paid for the engine, if you break even then there is your bottom end for free. Offer free delivery if the customer throws in their EJ22 single cam heads which they wont be using anyway.

If all goes to plan you have an EJ22 head on an EJ25 block. Big bore engine good for low end torque with a much lighter head that is better suited to lower speed operations. Both factors well suited to flying.

Very well put Gofastclint, and indeed the makings of a good aero package, however the BIGGEST issue with any subaru installation is a well thought out and reliable cooling system .

cheers

JimG

Very well put Gofastclint, and indeed the makings of a good aero package, however the BIGGEST issue with any subaru installation is a well thought out and reliable cooling system .cheers

JimG

I like the idea using a slightly larger core for the radiator with a computer like a MoTeC and an electric flap. I would make an electic flap that opens when the water sensors the temp reach a certain point and is triggered by the MoTeC. Thats the good thing about after market EMS, so many analog and digital input and output sensors that can easily be programmed by laptop.

The main thought would be in the placement of the radiators, most tuning houses use cardboard mock ups befor going to work on the metal.

All comes down to the aircraft you use.