Me Flying Around in the Sportstar

lazerin

Guest basscheffers

Hey Kian, solo in the training area: nice!

Have you done your check ride yet?

Next Saturday morning I am off on Nav 3, first one I am doing solo. I should take a camera with me!

I am just going to finish the 6 navs of the PPL syllabus and then get certificate, xc and pax in one go.

The version that you have added here in the video library is the high quality version - isn't it?

Unfortunately, I don't think it is. I tried using the high quality link (i.e. &fmt=18), however I think it defaults back to standard when embeded.

Hey Kian, solo in the training area: nice!Have you done your check ride yet?

Next Saturday morning I am off on Nav 3, first one I am doing solo. I should take a camera with me!

I am just going to finish the 6 navs of the PPL syllabus and then get certificate, xc and pax in one go.

Bas, good to hear from you.

I sat my flight test about 3 weeks ago on a Tuesday. We flew to lower light and did a few circuits on the short strip and came back. All good! The short strip was exciting, we managed a touch and go pretty easily on the 400m odd strip. :big_grin:. I'm just building up hours for PAX now.

How are the Nav's going? How many hours do you have to do in total again? And, yes, you should definitely take a camera!! (as long as you don't get lost :thumb_up:). Is the controlled airspace stuff difficult?

Ah, I was going to go for a flight sat morning as well haha, that's ok, I'll make it Sunday.

Guest basscheffers

Hey Kian,

Congratulations on getting your cert! Nav's are good, pretty easy stuff, just have to be precise about it. The hardest thing was that both so far have been pretty turbulent with lots of thermals, so no hands-off flying in trim while you read a map! Not to mention on the first one the forecast wind didn't actually have anything in comon with the actual wind...

Where have you been so far? There's not that much choice because of the CTA, but you could actually fly over the top of Edinburgh airspace and back via South Para and substation for a nice circular route. If you feel up to the challenge, of course! (or do it the other way around as you are familiar with that approach)

The RAA XC requires 10 hours of which two solo. I have only read up about CTA now from the radio book. All seems pretty straight forward and comon-sensicle too. I think the plan is to do that on Nav 4.

I should have the Sporty back by 11 on Saturday. Bummer I can't take you along!

Bas, navigating sounds challengingly rewarding! I've only been out in the training area, I had no idea I could venture outside and over Edinburgh. YGPM soon. Where abouts have you been flying for your navs? Done lots of short strip stuff?

The CTA training should be extremely fun, especially if you make an approach to adelaide international. I hear it's rather costly if you actually make contact with the runway though.

Guest basscheffers

Hey Kian,

Not sure if we'll do approaches too, or just transiting, I'll ask Saturday. The navs so far have been out east. First one was Blanchetown, Copeville, Mannum, second Cambrai, YMBD (for ccts) and Saturday I am supposed to do Karoonda and Swan Reach, which is quite a long one! (I'm guessing 160nm all up) So just that one will get me all the solo XC I need...

Technically, you are allowed within 25nm from your departure airport, outside CTA.

Have a look at the VTC for Adelaide, you could do:

YPPF - Lower Light - Mallala - Freeling - Lyndoch - Williamstown - South Para (SPR) - Substation (SUB) - YPPF. About 70nm, so just about under an hour.

All of these should be easy enough to find, you can probably see one from the other. And a hand-held GPS might help too! You could also do the route the other way around, so you are flying towards something you know.

Just remember you must be below 1500 between Lower Light and Lyndoch to avoid the Edinburgh CTA. After Lyndoch you can go to 2500 and then back down to 1500 by the time you hit SUB.

Between Lower Light and Lyndoch there are also 2 restricted areas that are NOTAMed, usually only during the week, not weekend. But check, of course.

Obviously, best to check this with an actual instructor, but I see no reason why it would not be allowed.

Cheers,

Bas.

Ooh! Clouds!! That's a nice perspective, I haven't seen clouds that low yet in my flying.

I got a chance to ride shotgun in a chieftain today, and the trip back was in IFR. We also shot a missed approach ILS to edinburgh. Good fun :D. So many things to achieve in aviation....so little money.... haha.

Guest basscheffers

Nice work! That reminds me, it seems Edinburgh airspace below 1500 is CTAF and has been for a while now after tower hours (i.e.: all weekend) so you should be ok to go straight through it. (above 1500 is still Adelaide's C) No landings without prior authorization, though!

All this talk of getting rid of Parafield - hopefully they'll find some space at Edinburgh. GA and RAAF sharing seems to work just fine for Tindal...

Yeah, a bit more money to spend on these things would be nice... Did you see the Beechjet 400 in the hangar? (of course you have) It belongs to some lucky sod who's got it for private use only.