February 22, 2009: ADS-B technology implementation schedule changes.

Admin

February 22, 2009: ADS-B technology implementation schedule changes.

Airservices Australia have advised their intentions regarding ADS-B air traffic surveillance technology. The implementation date for the upper airspace 1090ES ADS-B program has been revised. Eighteen ground stations are now operational, another 10 will be operational by December, 2009 allowing Airservices Australia to provide the traffic separation service across the current non-radar airways above FL290. So, from December 31, 2013, carriage of ADSB-Out equipment will be mandatory for aircraft operating at or above FL290.

An accelerated introduction of ADS-B surveillance into lower airspace was planned initially* but it is now agreed that a more gradual transition to satellite-based systems — harmonised with the North American and European transition plans — would be wiser. Airservices Australia will now "proceed with the replacement of enroute radars and ground navaids as necessary to ensure the integrity of Australia's air traffic control system." "The timing and scope of future steps will be progressed through normal regulatory processes and will take into account outcomes of the Government’s Green and White Paper aviation policy development process." The previously announced cross-industry funding proposals for ADS-B will not go ahead.

It is possible that, for operations in controlled airspace and perhaps above 10 000 feet, Australian recreational aviation and general aviation aircraft will be required to fit ADS-B Out equipment (probably at own cost); if this eventuates it is unlikely to be mandatory before 2020.

You can read the NPRM issued October 1, 2007 by the US FAA regarding their plans for ADS-B implementation. For a general outline of ADS-B technology in Australia see ADS-B surveillance technology.

* A Joint Consultation Paper proposed that from June 2012, ADS-B OUT transmitters will be mandatory for all VFR operations (including RA-Aus registered aircraft) that currently require carriage and use of a transponder; which includes operations in Class E airspace, Class G above 10 000 feet and many control zones. From June 2014, ADS-B OUT transmitters would also be required for all VFR operations that currently require carriage and use of VHF radio; which includes operations in Class G airspace above 5000 feet and in CTAF ®.

... JB

Guest pelorus32

Interesting. Whilst cost and complexity is an issue, I think that this is a decision that may not be in the best interests of the industry in the long run.

In the late 90s the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) mandated that from 2002 all vessels over 300 Gross Registered Tonnes must carry the maritime equivalent of ADS-B - AIS.

Initially the units were very expensive and simply irrelevant to small craft. I remember being in a very difficult position in a Bass Strait gale in late 2004 with large ships passing very close around me. At one particular point my bacon was saved by the watch officer on Spirit of Tasmania 2 providing me with detail of vessel that was on a collision course with me. I knew the vessel was there and on a collision course but I couldn't raise her. With the help of the AIS information I made contact and resolved the issue.

In those days AIS cost about $7-10,000 to fit.

Now AIS is much more widely available and a full working system for a yacht comes in at less than $2,000. Two things have happened: volumes have pushed the price down and new Class B transponders have been standardised for small vessels. The safety case is undeniable.

The same thing has happened with 406MHz EPIRBS - down from over $2,000 a few years ago to under $1,000 now on the basis of a small mod to the standard and the volumes driven by a worldwide change to phase out satellite monitoring of 121.5.

See the link below for what AIS can give you. Hover or click on a target to get more info. BTW the MMSI is the Maritime Mobile Service Identity. It's like a mobile number for a ship's radio. If someone calls my MMSI an alarm goes off on the radio and then it sets itself to whatever channel they want to talk to me on. I can accept or say I'm busy etc. All that info is passed by the AIS system.

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

Six or seven years ago AIS was cried down by yachties - now many are fitting it. I suspect that ADS-B will be the same.

Regards

Mike

• 1 month later...

Mike..how true! Right now, things are not looking good to get a general case for fitment of ADS-B. Given a bit more time. I think you will find the same scenario in avaition as in maritime. Have had this same opinion for a considerable while, especially after studying a few AIS sites.

It will eventually be commonplace.