Hi

Guest sessery

Guest sessery

Hi everyone,

I've been signed up for a while now but just haven't got around to saying hello to everyone, so.....hello !!

I've been around aviation on and off for many years. My interest has never been lost throughout the years but my level of involvement with actual flying came and went a few times.

My father got me interested a long time ago and I started learning to fly gliders up at Gympie in QLD, geez it must be about 20 or so years ago now. I tried looking for my old log book the other day but couldn't find it. I reckon I probably had about 10 hours up in the glider. Back then, Gympie used to launch via a winch, now that was some hairy stuff when you are just starting out. The family ended up moving from QLD and that was the end of that for a while.

My next attempt at flying was when we were in Melbourne and I started learning to fly in gliders again, this time in a Grobb G109 motorised glider out of a private strip in Sunbury. I can't remember how many hours this time around, I think it was probably 4 or 5, then mates, cars, girls and late nights drinking took all my time (and money) so that was the end of that.

After that my father became fairly heavily involved with the SAAA in Victoria and started flying ultralights. I think I only ever went up with him once but again, my social life was more important.

And that brings us to now. For the last few years, RC planes have kept me going but that doesn't seem to be enough anymore and I've looking at getting my RA certificate. Money is the problem at the moment - kids braces are taking up all the spare cash (those damn orthodontists are expensive !!) and the falling stock market has the rest :confused:. Until the market comes good again or the orthodontist has an attack of the guilts and charges me what the job is really worth then I'm on hold for a little while. I do have the blessing of the good lady wife though, which is always a good start !!!

So I'll be hanging around, reading heaps of the great info on this site, buying lots of magazines, visiting the stands at Avalon and whatever else aviation I can get my hands on.

Cheers, Scott

Hang in there

Hi Scott 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Have just read your thread. Like you I have had an interest in flying for many years. Started on my GA back in 2000 stopped just short of solo for a bit of a holiday and came back to a redundancy package and no job so flying was put on hold. Desire was rekindled late last year and am now working on my RA Certificate in a trike and have just taken delivery of a new Airborne 912 Tundra. Still putting it together with my instructor, then it has to be test flown and then the moment I am waiting for, my first flight in my own plane.

Great that you have the support of her indoors. Cant help you with those ortho costs. Been there and done that 2 kids plus the bride - I am sure I paid for his new roller. 032_juggle.gif.8567b0317161503e804f8a74227fc1dc.gif . Good luck and hope you get in the air in the not too distant future.

Cheers

JIM

Welcome Scott and hang around all you like - as you have probably seen by now there are loads of people here that are like you so join in and hope you enjoy your stay

Guest sessery

thanks for the welcome.

braces...certificate

certificate...braces

it was a tough decision. the kids don't really need straight chompers do they? i mean, look at sir les patterson. he's a rather handsome fellow don't you think. so what if they have to change their shirts after every meal, at least they can still chew. 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif