Drifter Records

I want to know all the records attached to a drifter aircraft and the personal bests from Drifter owners.

1. Greatest distance flown in one go.

2. Longest time in the air.

3. Most hours on airframe.

4. Highest Altitude.

5. Most hours on type.

6. Coldest/hottest day flying.

7. Hours on engine.

And any other achievnent associated with the Drifter type aircraft.

Guest Maj Millard

I heard a Mr Goodie (now deceased) flew a Drifter from Lord Howe Is to Ballina ?...years ago, on the deck all the way also....got to be a flight of note in a Drifter?.....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

I heard a Mr Goodie (now deceased) flew a Drifter from Lord Howe Is to Ballina ?...years ago, on the deck all the way also....got to be a flight of note in a Drifter?.....................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Wow, that's a long haul. guess those factory option long range tanks came in handy lol.

Guest Maj Millard

I'm sure he had additional fuel on board. The ocean had to be flat..Drifters do hoot when you get them down in ground (water?) effect. Has anyone else got any info on this particular flight. Bob (I think) Goodie was killed in a take off accident in a Cessna 337 at Harvey Bay a few years back.................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

And speaking of long notable flights in a Drifter. I flew mine back from the old Station Fly-in at Raglan to Townsville once, with the missus in the back, all the way. I can tell you that was notable.........024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

off topic but much the same way as dynamic soaring was discover by a glider pilot following a bird over mountains, on a calm day, the effect of flying at certain angles to the swell can increase range and speed massivly. Apparently some ocean birds can fly in a wave vortex for thousands of kilometers with the only effort being that of steering.

Guest ozzie

Long time ago we did a display at Cronulla beach, on the way back to the landing area i 'soared' the Lazair along a wave. really it can be done.

but you have to be right down on it and be aware of the tail.

it has to be easy Albatroses do it in their sleep!

PHOTO7.jpg.5bd5ff440c183941e491cf0629ec99d6.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

I have no doubt the Lazair would do it very well Ozzie, you know of what I talk. That's a great shot by the way, except that your XXXX is on fire !. Let me guess, the old army orange smoke flare ?....................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest ozzie

Blue on one side and had green on the other. battery detonated metal can things.

thought i blew the strut off when i hit the switch. this was the best display i ever took part in. 8 aircraft took part, flew a second set after the jumpers missed their takeoff slot at ysyd. had the landing area in the middle of Kurnell sandhills lit up by Polair after we flew till (well) after last light all within 5 mile of YSYD. and we had the bit of paper to make it all legal.

off topic but much the same way as dynamic soaring was discover by a glider pilot following a bird over mountains, on a calm day, the effect of flying at certain angles to the swell can increase range and speed massivly. Apparently some ocean birds can fly in a wave vortex for thousands of kilometers with the only effort being that of steering.

Watch this and be amazed...375mph with a 100" model sailplane using dynamic soaring behind a ridge...I wonder if this could be done full size?

Brilliant video, it would be much trickier to soar over water with the constant variables over the water, but achievable none the less.

It bet the little glider would be pulling well over a fatal level of G's. A 100m circle at 600kmph, does anyone have the equation book handy to figure out the G's?

Speed in metres per second, 600km/h = 166.66

turn radius = 50 metres

Acceleration = 166.66 x 166.66 / 50 = 555 metres per second squared.

1G = 9.8 metres per second squared.

555/9.8 = 57 G's.

Slightly Lethal acceleration.

Speed in metres per second, 600km/h = 166.66turn radius = 50 metres

Acceleration = 166.66 x 166.66 / 50 = 555 metres per second squared.

1G = 9.8 metres per second squared.

555/9.8 = 57 G's.

Slightly Lethal acceleration.

Wow! Its amazing the little glider can cope with that force.