Journalism

Admin

Every day I go through hundreds of news items picking out which ones I think will be of interest here, ignoring so many like news on commercial airlines etc unless offcourse a news item has a special safety message or flying skill to be learnt/reminded of by including the news item.

I do an initial cut by the news item title and this is the reason for this post. One I came across today, which is about a story that we had already included in our news section, but this time it had been further disguised to make it sound more interesting and shows how journalism tries to sensationalise everything.

The news item was about a commercial aircraft whose engine had failed and started to break up dropping pieces of metal through the area of Queens in New York on its way into landing at JFK.

The news heading was:

Plane Drops Engine Parts on Queens Rooftop - MSNBC

Would this news heading make you think that an aircraft dropped parts of its engine on top of Buckingham Palace thumb_down to the Journo!

Guest ozzie

Unlike here in OZ, HRH is not the first thing to come to mind when the word Queens is mentioned to a New Yorker. (Queen's)