Removing Savannah Wings

JG3

I find it easy to remove Savannah wings - takes about half an hour, including removing the ailerons first. Removing the ailerons protects them from accidental damage and allows the wing to be rested on its trailing edge. I used rivenuts for the join to the turtle deck. There's no need to touch the windscreen at all. I did make a mod during consruction to mount the doors on the fuselage rather than the wing, and this makes it easier. But others with wing-mounted doors have just made the hinge pins easily removable. The fuel hoses and electrical connections only take minutes to disconnect if you plan the connections for ease of access when building. Don't forget to drain fuel tanks first and have a couple of plugs handy to block the fuel lines from any residual fuel mess and prevent dirt or bugs getting into the openings. I've silver soldered a washer on edge to the head of each of the wing root bolts so that I can get a good grip to pull them out, and champered the ends of the threads of the bolts so that they slide in more easily. I have a long pair of needle-nose pliers that help reach into the cavity, and enlarged the opening to get at the rear root bolt. And always give a squirt of WD40. Two men can do it, but three is better - one to support the wingtip, one to support the root, and one to pull the bolts.

Tailwinds always,

JohnG

• 5 months later...

JG3, thanks for the insights. You have convinced me that the savvy is my best option as a 1st time builder. I hope to order a VG in the next few days.

I may seek your advice on some of the issues you raised if & when I start the build. I suspect that delivery may be some months away at the earliest.

Gordo.

• Caution 1

• 2 years later...

I note that the given length for a Savannah XL is 6600mm, with a tail width of 2490mm. Will removal of the rudder and propellor give sufficient reduction in length to fit in a 20 foot container? Is it possible to remove the horizontal tail to fit in as well?

Thanks

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

hi Peter

the horizontal tail and fin will fit in a container by just removing the plastic tips on the tailplane and elevator, not sure about the length though as I put my savannah in a 40 foot container for cyclone preparations.

Cheers

Ian