Had a fly today......

So it started off well, first time in a Dimona Motor Glider, pretty excited. Got in the air, not used to having an engine :P So then we turned the big noisy fan off and got into it, good thermalling and general flying. One thing I noticed is how much the nose drifts side by side in the motor glider.... I kinda think its because of the side by side seating, and looking through the middle of the cockpit, not straight ahead.

So then we joined circuit, and this is where it got interesting. Coming down downwind at RAAF Amberly, all sweet, turn base at a strange time, I kinda think it was too late, but the instructor was happy? Turn final, ok, half airbrake, coming in, the instructor tells me to nose down, so I did, then the instructor told me to flare. At this point we were WAY too high to flare yet, but I followed the instructors instructions. So then he tells me to point the nose down again, so I do, then to flare again...... So I do.

Now I was pretty happy with the flare the second time, and we then touched the ground, and then the instructor did something I really didnt expect. Before I could pull the airbrakes to full out, the instructor pulled back hard on the stick, and we flew straight back up into the air. Stall. I had the most sickening feeling when I felt that glider stall at like 10 meters above the ground. To his credit though, as soon as this happened, the instructor put away airbrakes and that managed to stop the glider from nosing over and going straight into the ground, but it was still quite an impact.

So yeah, he apologized for not paying enough attention, but I know Im still to blame for at least half of it because I was actually in command at that point in time. Something makes me feel that he thought Airbrakes were full on before he pulled back, but Im not sure..

Well, I just thought I would get that off my head :P

*end rant*

-Nathan

In charge.

The instructor is in command in this situation. He is responsible for you and able to cope with YOUR mishandling. You can (as the student) hardly be expected to reverse the roles, and look after him. Did you know WHO was actually flying the aeroplane?. You say things like"I HAVE CONTROL" and so forth. Nev..

We didnt actually say "Your aeroplane" or anything along those lines, but on downwind he said it was my landing (cause ive had a fair few flights b4hand, just not in a powered glider) but he was gonna be resting on the controls. So yeah, because it was gonna be my control for the landing, I wasnt expecting to have the stick pulled back on me.

Guest drizzt1978

Im sorry but if that was my instructor I think my Rant might have been in his direction imediately!! Was the glider ok??

confusion.

While the situation does not appear to be clear-cut (due to your experience), it DOES highlight how important it is to have this matter fully understood BEFORE the flight is commenced, NOT sorted out during it. It is a recipe for disaster, and you were a bit lucky. Nev..

Is it normal procedure in a glider to pull back after touchdown??...i havn't flown a glider for some years, but as i remeber you went forward on the stick after touchdown to pin her down like wheeling on a taildragger...

anyway, something's not right there mate.. like others said, my rant would have been a little different...

Nathan

Based on your report being 100% spot-on, your 'Instructor" is SUSS ..... and that may be being kind.

Was this an RAA instructor?

If he is not the CFI, you should set up a meeting with the CFI to examine what happened and get it sorted. If he IS the CFI you need to front him on the ground and get it sorted.

In my learning with various instructors in various forms of aviation I have never experienced an Instructor doing anything remotely like you have described, and this is of particular concern due to his pulling up when he did.

If you do the above and he claims he did nothing wrong, you should think about making a change before he kills you, as a good instructor will only take control if a serious situation is on the cards and they will let you know at the time (my aircraft etc) and then completely debrief you afterwards.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Geoff

PS If this was a Gliding Club "amateur" instructor, then that may explain it. In that case I suggest that you give him a wide berth.

With regards to confronting the instructor, it was a once off flight with him, and I doubt I will ever see him again, as he came interstate to take people flying. I was helping out at a day to give a large group of people an Airex flight, and by large i mean 50 plus people, and because I was helping out we were getting free flights.

He was not an RAA instructor to my knowledge, but again, since I dont actually know him, and wont see him again, I didnt actually find out. Im also not going to name gliding clubs either, because thats not my place.

Motza, It was a taildragger glider, and In the tail dragger gliders once you touch down (preferably 2 point, or 3 point if there is 3 wheels)) you pull full airbrakes and then pull back on the stick, if its not already there from the flare. Thats how I have been taught anyway, not sure if others do it differently.

Drizz, to my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the glider, as it got taken up by the same instructor with an Air experience cadet about 5 minutes later.

Obviously the instructor would probably have a different view on what happened (like 2 sides of the story), so what I have recounted was my experience in that flight. Apologies for not making that point clear last night, but it had been a long day, and I was buggered.

Cheers,

Nathan