Aviation and sailing

Yenn

marine - Started off in a seagull powered skiff when I was 6, learnt power boats and sail with my Dad and Uncle, Shipwrecked with my uncle and aunt on holidays on their 60ft cruiser when a cyclone hit (not the warnings we have today of course) I was a terrified 8yo. My Uncle taught me how to sail starting off in dingy and cat sailing then when I was older I got into trailer sailers which I enjoyed for years... crewed on my "brother in laws" half tonne, these days currently have a 5.5metre half cabin power boat which I enjoy at least once a month. Aviation - Started off in Gliders, got frustrated waiting around and quickly moved onto power..been licenced now for thirty years, flown drifters to twins...piston and jet... and still as keen as the first day I looked up!!

My wife tells me that my favourate boat is the one I got now...although my wish list heads up with a 11metre cat (sail of course):pig:...my favourate plane is the A36:big_grin:

There is something so amazing about using the elements to power your transport, weather that be gliding or sailing. You really do need to be over the "wanker doing burnouts in mums car" stage to truly enjoy it though.

One of my first jobs when I left school was smoothing welds on steel sails boats with a grinder in return for time on the water. Knowing that the boat I was in was capable of going around the world impressed me. What a great way to escape world war 3 with the wife and kids if it ever comes about.

Pelorus.

It was the Nova and deep keel. not bilge keel.

I read the book about the Terre del Fuego voyage years ago. The Nova was a good boat and raced well except hard to windward. Once the wind freed up a bit she went really well.