Which one for your first?

Guest coaltrain

Guest coaltrain

For the more learned sailplane drivers out there I a have a few questions you might be able to answer. I'd be interested to hear your views.

Question 1. What is a good first glider to own? Now don't think about it, what was the first glider that popped into your head upon reading that question?

Question2. If money wasn't really going to be too big an issue what would you suggest would be a good first glider?

Question3. If you were after a cheap first glider what would you think would be a good choice?

This (theoretical) glider would be for a low hour pilot(s) looking to start stretching their legs with some cross country and perhaps the occassional casual competition (eg QLD Easter Comps).

Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Coaltrain

Hey...I am not a sailplane pilot but have spent plenty of time around and in them growing up...my first thought was a Standard Libelle...for no other reason that it is the most beautiful machine ever built...different to the majority of modern machine...elegant but with enough performance to keep you happy...

Here is a link to some old footage of the Libelle my dad spent many years loving...and we all still love her...I know, I know but we do...If I saw this machine on a field I kid you not I would wrap my arms around her and hold her...she is beautiful.

If you go to around the 6 minute mark on this video you will see some beautiful footage of her from many angles on the ground.

She lives in Adelaide now and is flown at the Adelaide University Gliding Club.

Guest coaltrain

Nice footage Winsor68. The Libelles are very pretty. Club Libelles are pretty too in my oppinion. So does anyone else have a response to the questions? Or are Libelles the only Sailplane worth considering? :)

Guest TOSGcentral

Any of the single seat Astirs would do you well. They are pretty well viceless, good roomy cockpits and have been around long enough to probably enable you to get one at a good price.

The bee's knees would be the Open Cirrus. There was only one in Oz and I do not know where it is/was. That would be a really nice glider for your syndicate for all year soaring.

I would steer clear of wood unless your syndicate has the skills to maintain the aircraft.

Guest coaltrain

Thanks for your reply Tony, Astir's (and Cirrus) often get mentioned. I adore some of the wooden gliders but I must be realistic about my ability to deal with looking after one, I.e. no ability at all! We have several wooden gliders at our club laying about. Arrow, Foka 5, K13, T31, M200, Grunau Baby. . .

ps. Enjoy your little (but ever expanding) series about gliders, is their to be a new instalment soon?

Guest TOSGcentral

Yup Coaltrain,

Down Memory Lane will continue (I am only about half way through) but I have just had a bastard of a week and a half on solid airworthiness, inspections and flying and had time for little else. That is about over now so I can move ahead.

From your list I would personally instantly pick the Foka 5. But for gawd's sake do not break it as the wings are constructed in concrete moulds to form the skins while the structure is built inside!!!!

With the Cirrus - be aware! I am not talking about the the Standard Cirrus (15 mtr) but the Open Cirrus (17 metre). Totally different aircraft! But you will have a sleigh ride in the big one!

Aye

Tony

Guest coaltrain

Hi L/D

Thanks for your response. I notice the Discus in various reincarnations appears twice in your answers. you have a good oppinion of them I gather?

The Dollar value of 'cheap would be, say, less than $20k. . .

Guest L/D

Hi Coaltrain,

The Discus is used by many aero clubs in Europe as the first single seat glider for students converting to single seat aircraft due to its docile characteristics and pure ease of maintenance and rigging. It has been a dominating aircraft on the world gliding scene since it was released back in the mid 80's.

The Discus2 is the current version of the Discus though has been refined with the use of ongoing development in profiles and planform layout optimization. It comes in both 15m and 18m wingspan configurations.

An aircraft less than $20K - you would be looking at a Cirrus, Astir, PZL Junior, libelle, and most things wooden.

Guest coaltrain

Thanks again L/D

I imagine there are as many different oppinions on this subject as there are glider pilots. But all have some merrit.

I imagine with the second hand glider market as it is in Australia and my low purchase price limit I'll be lucky if I have much of a choice when the time comes to start looking seriously.

classic alright, go the HJ's and miniskirts... :thumb_up:

You know who the inventor for those where Merv....?

"Mr Seemorelegs";)

• 1 year later...

First buy

Still a newbie myself,but the biggest question to my mind is 1 or 2 seater.I favour 2 seaters myself in which case in OZ you could do a lot worse than the Blanik.!0 grand gets you a robust,well-mannered classic.Great for training others down the track.Likewise the Puchatek.A trainer,yes,but fully aerobatic rated and could be picked up very reasonably.