RAAF activity in the Hunter

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

I am sure everyone checks the NOTAMS before they go flying. just had two C130's, No, make that four, fly over our house heading up the valley towards Singleton. the second two were at 500ft but the first pair were lower. tailgates open. looked great. got the neighbours dogs barking. if you are flying in the area today, eyes open. FA18s are active as well.

Ozzie

Guest pelorus32

G'day Ozzie,

I remember having a beer one evening at a pub in South Canterbury in NZ. We heard a noise and a C130 passed through a little gully below us. We had a great view of the top of the fuselage - very close. I think he must have been a Fletcher pilot in the making!!

Regards

Mike

Have you checked the LJR's (Low Jet Routes)?

There are heaps around Australia; some may not be used for years, but there's always the day.

I seem to remember F111's in Australia being authorised on terrain following radar at 500' - just a speck and a splat!

Guest Andys@coffs
Have you checked the LJR's (Low Jet Routes)?There are heaps around Australia; some may not be used for years, but there's always the day.

I seem to remember F111's in Australia being authorised on terrain following radar at 500' - just a speck and a splat!

The TFR thats fitted (or was when I was there) has a number of different altitude options. From memory the lowest, with greatest pucker phactor is 200ft AGL hard ride wich translates I seem to recall to 0G to +3G pitch commands. Imagine a 0G pitch down command at 200ft and mach 1+ ..... I Imagine that the sphincter cycle life could easily be exceeded..... I seem to recall that 200ft hard ride wasnt selected often and that we as gnd crew were always told that the worst case time available to the crew between identifying a problem (inappropriate commanded pitch down) and becoming a large plough run was 0.1Second, so how fast are your reflexes? you have the stick, you have to paddle off the TFR with your little finger and then take over

Andy

Andy, see the thread Reaction Time thread where our top guns were boating about 18/100 sec against this - 10/100 sec!

I probably got my story from an airshow, so it may or may not have been BS, but it went something like "TFR is used down to 150 feet by US pilots in zero visibility, but there's no recovery time, so the RAAF have restricted it to 500 feet to save aircraft.

The truth's there somewhere, and pilot compliance might be a factor, but one way or the other, if you are just flying a Thruster down a valley in the spring sunshine on an LJR it could be come to Jesus time

Guest ozzie

Ah, the local radio reported that two army personel were taken to hospital after thumping in during an 'insertion' exercise from C130s this morning.

Guest ozzie

Last night was the Caribous turn. 4 over an hour same course and altitude. Night jumps. Hmm,Sounds dangerous. Count me in.

Guest Maj Millard

Night jumps out of Caribous....great fun, all redded out like a flying Brothel, then into the black hole.........................................................Hook on !!..stand in the door !!.........GO !!........Ye HAH.................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif