blue top 582 leaking oil from o rings

Bluey

Hi all;

I have an oil injected blue top with 570 hours since its last rebuild. About 70 hours ago I did a full top end overhaul. Replacing the head gaskit and o rings. This was done because there was a small fluid leak from the o ring. Anyway, it seemed fine at first until a very monor leak started to again develop about 25 hours ago. After todays flying (3.5hours), two more small leaks (a bit worse than the first one just described) was detected. As of 3.5 hours ago, there was no sign of any oil in the coolant. However, there are very unusual fine black particles whose origin are at this stage unidentified. After speaking to Bert floods, they claim to have never heard of black bits appearing in the coolant. They expect that it may be small bits of a hose or other?? They don't think this is a major problem?? Anyway as far as the fluid leak around the o ring is concerned, does anyone know how long I may have until the inevitable engine failure as I don't really feel like replacing the o rings again and the engine is due for replacement later this year (maybe 50 - 70 hours time).

Regards: Bluey.

water leak.

Unless you are losing so much water that you will overheat, (and you are a long way away from that) just keep your eye on the coolant level. Nev..

Guest Maj Millard

The head to cyl O rings are usually pretty good especially if you renewed them. Did you put something on them to assist in them locating themselfs a bit ?. A light film of Vaselene or as in the industry, a product called DC4 which just looks like a fancy Vaselene.

Not a problem if you didn't, but you may want to retorque your cylinder bolts in the recommended sequence. They can have a habit of backing off. Don't release them just check that the correct torque is there with your torque wrench. You'll probabily make those extra remaining hours without too much problem............................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Hi all;I have an oil injected blue top with 570 hours since its last rebuild.Does anyone know how long I may have until the inevitable engine failure.

Regards: Bluey.

G`Day Bluey,

The short answer is,Nobody can tell you when it is likely to fail.

I`ve had 4 grey head 582 and the first one was oil injected,it did 680 hrs before it failed in the crankshaft bearings.

The next two never got to those hrs but did over 600 hrs before failing due to crankshaft bearing failure.

With the 4th one I replaced the crankshaft at 500 hrs, did a further 550 hrs then scrapped it.

Your Call.

Cheers,

Frank.