Aussie RAAF Airstrips- WW2

Guest Brett Campany

Great link Windsor! It's so sad to see this though

Hoxton Park Airfield, New South Wales, during WW2

If you ever go to Truscott, you'll love it. Lots of history there as well! When I was working for Surveillance Australia flying Dash 8's and BN2-B Islanders for Customs, we'd go in there at least once every 10 days or so.

Beautiful part of the world!

Guest Maj Millard

Montpelier airpark is situated on the old WW2 'Antil plains' strip, once one of three in the setup. There are many around Townsville and sourrounding areas, most still visable from the air. Roger Marks' great book 'WW2 airstrips-50 years on' lists the majority of them, with photos, right throughout the state...................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest drizzt1978

Near Tooradin, a couple of miles east actually, is an old WW2 strip that bombers used. It runs through a couple of padocks, but dam it looks like a nice spot to land

(Minus a few fences!!!)

Tocumwal is only 30 minutes from Echuca. My father served his war years there as a mechanic in the RAAF working in the bearing shop. The engines in a Liberator had a "combat life" of 100 hrs. :ah_oh:

You can still see all four runways very clearly from around 3500ft. Only two are still used. The biggest shame is ask any local secondary school student within a 100 miles of Tocumwal about the history of the place and they don't know. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

There were hundreds of aircraft scrapped there after WWII finished, melted down for the new motorcar industry. (Holden 48-215) Your dad may have been driving a processed Spitfire! :thumb_up:

regards

:big_grin::big_grin:

Near Tooradin, a couple of miles east actually, is an old WW2 strip that bombers used. It runs through a couple of padocks, but dam it looks like a nice spot to land(Minus a few fences!!!)

hi drizzt - do you think you could snap a pic one day and post for us?

cheers,

lee.

Guest ozzie

On the road that runs from Appin to the coast there is/was an old ww2 strip intersecting the road. not far from Wedderburn

Narromine used to house a lot of Mosquitos

Before this was a round field - just land into the wind!!

Main 29/11 was much longer, was cut down after war years as council was concerned about problems associated with large aircraft being able to land there:confused:

JR

Guest drizzt1978

Have to find it again...Havent seen it for a few weeks....ive been outside the training area...doing my navs (As he slowly struts around the desk!!!)

Just being silly, yeah, Il get My Girl friend to take some pics.

even better look up spencers rd in google maps and switch to satelite view, you cant miss it!!

Guest davidburge

Bairnsdale in East Gippsland was a ww2 Beaufort squadron training airfield, still has an underground pillbox at the entrance and remains of various emplacements around the countryside, four of the hangars at the airfield are heritage listed (which is a pain in the a...) also Mallacoota in the far east of the state dates back to ww2. Both are still operating and have sealed runways:rotary:

What a great post. I say this because my parents live in Spitfire Avenue at Strathpine Brisbane. I had heard that the street was actually a taxiway but I believed the street to be the runway due to it's width.

Some hoons still think it's a runway too! 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

What a great post. I say this because my parents live in Spitfire Avenue at Strathpine Brisbane. I had heard that the street was actually a taxiway but I believed the street to be the runway due to it's width.Some hoons still think it's a runway too! 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

It was a runway. You can get a video on the history of it from the Redcliff library. I'm not too sure, but I think it was called "Spitfire avenue"