Gibbo65

gibbo65

As can be seen I'm an old bod. My interest in flying started early but ran into roadblock when I owned up to colour blindness.

In mid life I took to gliding with great joy and worked up to solo high performance machines.

After a long hiatus I am contemplating sports flying as my gliding experience will count for me under the new guidelines.

Living fairly close to Tooradin airport is a strong motivation as well.

Hoping to fly soon

From one old bod to another - go for it gibbo!

I've just started having had no previous flying experience - and it's a whole lot of fun!

:thumb_up:

( another old bod )

Graeme ,

Like you I started flying when I was 62 . Before that I had no interest and used to think that , " if it goes faster than I can run or higher than I can jump ", I really don't want to know about it . My first flight in an X-Air without doors confirmed my previous thoughts . On a holiday to Qld in 2005 we called in Bundaberg and visited the Jabiru factory and I started taking lessons in a Jabiru LSA 55 with Coral Coast school of Aviation .( I had done around 10 hours with Anthony Morrison CFI Latrobe Valley prior to going on holidays ) . Another 15 or so hours saw me go solo , and , with many more hours , I completed my cross country and passenger endorsements . We were staying in a caravan park in Bundy during this time. I left there after about 3 months " certified ". My wife and I returned to Bundy the following year and after much soulsearching placed an order for a J160 kit . About 2.5 years later , with about 18 months actually spent on the build , the a/c was test flown in March this year . The day of the test flight , feeling a little apprehensive I will always remember the comments of test pilot Marty Higgins , CFI Bairnsdale from 3000 ft. - " flies beautifully Bob , 100 knots at 2600 revs , hands off ", and it has been performing faultlessly ever since - still only got around 30 hours on it , but there have been other things to catch up on . In a few weeks time we plan to leave for an extended trip to NSW , QLD and SA , and to be in Bundy for the 2009 Airshow and Jabiru " back to the nest " early July . I am now 66 . Hope that this inspires you to continue with your lessons and show the disbelievers that you are really ," never too old " .

Regards

Bob