Navigation and Instruments.

Guest davidnye

Hello Fred Bear,

I've been reading this string and noticed your cmments regarding the many updates of the Garmin 296.

I've been using a 295 for 18 months and haven't been able to fault it. I'm contemplating the purchase of a 296 mainly for the terrain awareness feature.

A college of mine used a 296 to support his flight to Perth from Brisbane for the Redbull air race with no apparent problems.

Where do I find a list of the historic updates for the 296.

Thanks and great information offered throughout this string!

As i understand it there are no historical list of updates

If you update your unit now it will then have the latest available data

Updates are available from the Garmin web site or if you downt have the neccesary connector cable from the supplier where you purchased the unit.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap296

we also use a 295 in the JAB and it is an excellent GPS

I do not like the idea of relying on the terrain awareness of a portable GPS when flying. If you cannot see the terrain you probably should not be there

The terrain awareness feature is crap, all it does is put warnings up and cover half the screen. The database in OZ is nowhere near good enough to be of any use. I have a 296 in the Pacer and a month or 2 ago I went to Brissy, those big hills south (MT warning and his mates) were either side of me and the GPS reakons all was OK. I was at least 500 feet from the top and 1 K horizontal and the GPS had no warning at all.

Can someone please give me a summary of the main "in-service" differences between Garmin 296 and Garmin 196 (apart from the 296 being colour). There is $1,000 difference in the price - so is the 296 worth it?

Txs

Chris

Guest davidnye

Thanks for the feedback on the Terrain feature of the 296 Guys.

I'd envisaged the Terrain feature as an additional safety net but if it's crap I won't bother. Looks like I'll be sticking with my 295 for a while which I have no dramas with.