Drifter Brakes

Blue Drifter

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Blue drifter,

I have a hand brake arrangement fitted beside the pilot seat on my 912 Drifter.....works great.

Wayne Fisher (Spectrum Aviation) can discuss the setup...I just use it....Spats no problem,however you might not be able to modify your aircraft if it is certified.

Cheers

JL

G'day Juliet,

I was just interested in seeing how you find the hand brake... I looked at some fella's drifter the other day with one... but thought it would be a hand full. ie, how would you go if you want to hold the stick, brake and throttle at the same time....? I know it's not common to do all three at once, but I have done in the past.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Tomo,

Not sure why you might want to use throttle and side brake simultaneously....but then I don't have answers to lots of flying questions.

The hand brake is and works as a car hand brake does... as distinct from the Drifter grip brake mounted on the column....once pulled on, runups are easily done as it holds very well.

I'm told that in an extreme emergency (engine out and short paddock/strip) landing with the side brake on pulls the Drifter up very effectively....again if required.

Cheers

JL

Yeah... I'spose it's just the same as the Jab... you have to let go of the stick to pull on the brake... only in this case it's the throttle you let go of.

I don't know, but I just like to have my hand on the throttle the whole time, and one time I was fortunate to do so, after landing and still slowing down with the brake lever on the stick... a whirl wind/thermal picked me off the ground, in that case I was glad I was holding the throttle! because full power it went!

But I guess you get used to what you use, is the hand brake on the side a "instead of" or just and additive? (ie, is the old grip on the stick still able to be used)

I have Black Max brakes fitted to my Drifter,

They are a great improvment on the standard drums, and can be used with the spats

My Drifter lives at Wangaratta if you want a look

Shane

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Tomo,

Well there you go, another day and another lesson.....guess under those circumstances the side brake might delay the response a little.

Sounds like the Black Max might be a good option Shane.....is there much involved in the fitting?

Cheers

JL

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know, but I just like to have my hand on the throttle the whole time, and one time I was fortunate to do so, after landing and still slowing down with the brake lever on the stick... a whirl wind/thermal picked me off the ground, in that case I was glad I was holding the throttle! because full power it went!

QUOTE]

Tomo,

You`ve got the idea :thumb_up:,make sure you keep doing it.

Cheers,

Frank.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fitting Black Max brakes to my Drifter!

You can purchase from the manufacturer

Hydraulic Brakes

You want the “With Newly Redesigned Hub that takes heavy duty bearing”

Not old stock like I got

This one, BX44863-4

The rim is 4 inch wide, 6 inch diameter, 3/4 inch axle diameter

[ATTACH]10572.vB[/ATTACH]

The caliper is mounted with some aluminium plate from Bunnings aero-space

The Drifter joy stick is 7/8 inch diameter, the Black Max master cylinder has a 1 inch mounting hole.

I used a bit of 1 inch OD, 1/16 inch wall thickness Aluminium tube as a spacer for mounting

This photo shows the park brake on, which will easily hold at idle

[ATTACH]10573.vB[/ATTACH]

The standard Drifter rims are 5 inches wide,

I use 6 ply Trelleborg tyres, which are wider in the sidewall than the usual lawn mower tyres, These will just fit in the width of the Drifter spats, So using the 4 inch wide Black Max rims will make it all fit with spats

I Run these Trelleborg tyres tubeless, at 15psi

The brakes will hold at full throttle!

I don’t have spats fitted at the moment, because I got the 6 inch wide rims, and the spats won’t fit

These are the same brakes that are on the Australian Airbourne trikes

Landing distances are easily halved with these brakes

Differential braking is not needed, with use of throttle and jiggling the brakes I can do 360 degree turns with one wheel stationary

Hope this helps

Shane

1768339115_Calipermount.jpg.8cb8b529acdd8e3ad8c4ffdb4a92be55.jpg

328773779_Parkbrake.jpg.612b0d68a89470f6c9995d6655fec84a.jpg

Thanks shane ,

Thats great, I will get a set and put them on and let you know how I went.

I have sent of an email to the manufacturer on cost and delivery time.

Thanks again for your trouble and the photos.

Monty