Costs with building a Plane

Skip

I am wondering if anyone could give me an idea on the costs of building your own kit plane after you bought the frame and engine. Like instruments, paint and flight testing and any hidden costs.

Steve:help:

Guest drizzt1978
Hmm ' How long is a bit of string?'

Are we talking feet of meters here, Big difference....

;)

Have a look at Aircraft Spruce cattle dog on the net, that will give you an idea of prices. US of course. The very minimum for instruments will be over $1000.

Guest brentc

I think we can probably be of a little more help to Steve!

Steve can you give us a bit of an idea as to what the aircraft might be?

Eg, when you say frame, are you thinking fabric, such as Aeropup or similar? or have you seen a price like a fibreglass / carbon such as the Cobra Arrow offering a price that excludes engine and instruments?

If you gave us an example aircraft type we could come pretty close to a figure for you.

I have the figures for Gary Morgans Cheetah 100.

His kit price is $24800 + GST

With 2.2 engine and instruments he quotes $51580 + GST.

With 6 cyl engine and instruments he quotes $56800 + GSTso you can see that engine, instruments and seating add a considerable amount to the cost. No doubt you could redice the cost, or given the right wish list you could blow it out of all proportion.

After the kit price and engine I have given up keeping track,,,basically I just don't want to know ,,,I have chosen to build one so I'm not going to stop till it's finished.. If I new what it really cost I would not be building I expect but once it is done I will be so stoked.

Guest Maj Millard

Brett, That's probabily the most realistic approach. It does become a labor of love, and once so far in, there are only two options available at that point, finish it, or quit.

Like any obsession there are points where you just have to walk away for a period, be it short or long. It's all part of the process.

I worked with a lot of homebuilders when living in California utilizing my US. A&P license. If I showed genuine interest in what they were doing, and checked on them regulary, the projects would get finished quicker. It's much nicer if you've got a couple of opinions, instead of plowing along seemingly on you'r own.

I would always suggest just getting the aeroplane in the air as quick as possible, with minimum instruments, no paint, no interior trim, just fly it. Once you have done that, you'r enthusium to finish the rest is no problem, and it will happen in half the time. It is the above mentioned final finishing touches (paint,trim etc) that can really drag on, and I have seen projects unfortunatly fail at the final stage. It is a unique thing indeed to have built a flying machine with you'r own hands, and to see it finally fly.........................................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Difference between SAAA and RA-Aus home building

Can anyone advise what if any differences there are in building under SAAA v RA-Aus - apart from the obvious such as under the different regos. E.g is the SAAA more stringent in terms of inspections while building etc.

Any info much appreciated.

Guest ozzie

The SAAA is more inclined towards the experimental homebuilt for VH rego.Usually heavier and higher performance types. Lots more involved.

Guest brentc

Building under RA versus GA is almost identical. There is only ONE inspection required at completion of the build. The job of the 'inspector' (CASA authorised delegate) is to verify that you have successfully completed YOUR final inspection of the aircraft and it is not his / her job to determine the airworthiness of the aircraft - this is YOUR job as YOU will be flying it.

In GA, once the check and paperwork is completed (slightly more paperwork is required for GA), you will be given a test area and any limitations, either 25 or 40 hours depending on the engine and you will be limited to pilot only. RA is pretty much the same as this give or take a few minor details. Once the test hours are flown you have no further limitations.

To clarify, you do NOT need to be a member of SAAA to build a GA aircraft as there are independent inspectors that can sign-off your aircraft.