Ballistic Parachute On Jabiru J230

We are all trained to fly our aircraft with the view that the engine could fail and we need a place to land.In the few cross countrys I have done around and over the Alps of the South Island I have always planned a route that leaves me over landable terrain if the engine quits,or some other thing forces a landin

We do not have to fly over tiger country,we choose to, and choosing to adds to the flying risks.

:rotary::thumb_up::thumb_up:

Excellent attitude, Pioneer.

Someone who`d watched me fly,asked me once, where my parachute was and my reply to that was,"I`m flying it".

As I started flying by building my own aircraft from scratch,I gave the Balistic Chute a lot of thought in the early days and I came to the conclusion that if it deployed accidently I was in trouble, and if I had airframe failure,before I could react to deploy it, the aircraft would probably be in an attitude where the chute wouldn`t open anyway so I reckoned it wasn`t of any value to me.

Wouldn`t even consider one,these days.

Frank.

There was one incidence where a chute was deployed when the pilot had a blackout problem. He survived but is in a wheel chair caused by spinal damage. The chute dropped the plane into a dam and it was designed to land on the wheels, which would collapse followed by the wing, befor his seat stopped. It was the sudden stop caused by the water that did the damage.