Are composite props better on Jabs?

Guest Qwerty

Guest Qwerty

A mate is running a 3 blade Revolution prop on his jab. Is this or the new Bolly really any beter than the Jab prop? And wot about the advantage of the timber having no fatigue life, thats got to be a significant plus now that there are adequate epoxy leading edges for use in the rain. Any thoughts?

Guest brentc

I say yes and I'm biased, but that's because I have one (the Revolution) and I think it's better than the Jabiru equivalent as your mate would have already told you.

For me it would be too early in the product life cycle to try a Bolly at this time.

The Revolution is smoother, quieter on the outside, better looking, resistant to the rain, doesn't need re-balancing, is easy to repair, performs better in the climb and usually the cruise and you'll be very happy with it.

We now have a few in my area and I'm yet to hear of anyone who isn't happy with it.

- J400 3300 x 2

- SPT 3300

- SP 2200

- J160 2200

• 3 months later...
A mate is running a 3 blade Revolution prop on his jab. Is this or the new Bolly really any beter than the Jab prop? And wot about the advantage of the timber having no fatigue life, thats got to be a significant plus now that there are adequate epoxy leading edges for use in the rain. Any thoughts?

I have an enquiry with Sensenich at the moment for their 2 blade carbon fibre ground adjustable unit.

Contacted jabiru last week and they advised that they still only approve the timber units ............ but boy are there ever lots of CF 3 bladers around on 3300's and 2200's.

I have spoken to the guys at Bolly a couple of days ago about the testing on an approved prop and they tell me it is not far away and that Rodd has provided engines for university based testing of the prop and all is going well in fact better than anticipated, but they are making a slight modification prior to certification as one of a number of test props approved for 19 registered aircraft was fitted to a Jab and due to the owners excitement he did not follow the retension procedure and instead of fitting the prop and doing a run up and then retension, then a couple of circuits and another retension he decided to just take off and one blade departed in it's entirety from the hub! so the prop and hub are to be modified to ensure they are fool proof and even if it comes loose it cannot come out of the hub.

The pilot is fine, aircraft has a bit of fencing material hanging off the front and has sustained some damage.

What Bolly said was at this stage Rodd wanted to stick with a 2 blade fixed pitch prop in composite and see how that went, all the harmonics and other testing so far is excellent and smoother than the wooden prop.

The 3 blade and in flight adjustable are also undergoing testing and I believe may be used on 19 registered ac if approved.

Guest JRMobile

("I say yes and I'm biased, but that's because I have one (the Revolution) and I think it's better than the Jabiru equivalent as your mate would have already told you.

For me it would be too early in the product life cycle to try a Bolly at this time.

The Revolution is smoother, quieter on the outside, better looking, resistant to the rain, doesn't need re-balancing, is easy to repair, performs better in the climb and usually the cruise and you'll be very happy with it.")

All of the above with one important addition, the original wooden prop did not start to become a fan until some mm beyond the spinner so in effect I had a block of wood spinning in front of the cowl opening. With the new prop I have a significant increase in air flow to the engine with better operating temps all round. This and the smoothness of the engine are the two stand out features.

[ATTACH]12754[/ATTACH]

Guest Maj Millard

When I was working in the states, the Questair Venture had a similiar cooling problem and the owners had to fly around with the cooling flaps half open, to keep the temps down. One of the prop manufacturers (can't recall which one) came out with a special prop just for the aircraft, with an increased chord in front of the cooling inlets. Problem solved.................................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

• 2 weeks later...