"Local notes" when you go flying.

I know how important the ERAS is and why it needs to be carried.

But as it is, it is used to resolve specific problems at specific airports. By that I mean it tells you the frequencies, etc of the airport.

If you have a "real" problem, thumbing through the back of the ERSA would be a bit difficult.

Yes, I appreciate there *IS* a lot of good stuff there. Finding it is the trick.

I was thinking of what is the "basic" things which would be handy to have at your finger tips on all flights. 018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

Yes, I also appreciate that some things would seem "obvious" to some people, but from what I have seen on shows, etc, it is times like that when people's memories go out the window.

Emergency frequency 121.5 for instance.

Light meanings, for both on/off ground.

I am sure not everyone knows them THAT good.

Pattern to fly in/out of controlled airspace with no radio.

Anyway, it is open for discussion. I am just interested what others have looked back and thought "Gee that would be handy to know in emergencies".

Guest Mad Dave

I reckon it is handy to carry the Visual Flight Rules Guide as well, everything is in there, and easy to find. I also always mark the pages in the ERSA for the strips I am going to as well as any alternatives along or near the route with post it notes before the flight, just in case you need them quickly.

Guest Maj Millard

Yes my ERSA sits under the passenger seat in the Lightwing. It fills that space, and stops any unwanted snakes from going there. Eliminates one space I don't have to check on pre-flight. I usually go throught the ERSA and rip out unwanted stuff which also lightens it. I do leave important stuff in like light symbols, survival stuff, and search patterns etc. I do extract some GPS co-ords from the listings, and enter them into my GPS data base, which can be handy.

I do occasionally actually use it to check on airport details, runway headings etc.

Occasionally I'll use it for fine CG adjustment when fully loaded..........................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Brett Campany

I take a knee board with me at all times, in it I've photocopied the relevant airfields in the area and slipped them into plastic sleeves in alphabetical order. On that I've also put the CTAF, overfly height, circuit height and finals height to take out some of the thinking so I can aviate at all times!

Guest Maj Millard

That's one of the advantages of taking a passenger, you can get them to look up the airfield details ahead of time. I also mark frequently used airports with 'post its' for quick reference..........................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Be prepared to disfigure your WAC chart by drawing in a circle on the location of every strip - no matter how small or difficult. For future reference - also draw a 'slash' accross the circle in the strip direction.........which will help in future ID.

You probably won't have time to do other than a quick 'autostore' on the GPS - but then just notate the map location with the GPS waypoint 'number' You can give it a name later.

Nothing like a map full of potential 'boltholes' !!

happy days,

back-up.

I write out all frequencies and a summary of ERSA details for all aerodromes that I am likely to need on the trip. This goes under my flight plan. on a full page. If I have never been there (and even most other times,) I will have a Google map (Satellite) printed out. Anything like RH circuits and hazards need to be highlighted. If you have plenty of time, do all this the night before and just do the plan and fuel determination after you get the latest Met. report. There is rarely time during the latter part of the flight to look up books, and it can be rather impractical to be brushing up on info in detail while you are trying to fly the plane. If you have someone else to take the stick while you do things it is helpfull, but PREPARATION makes it all go so much better. On the few occasions where I have not done the full preparation the operation was so much less satisfactory, even though you might get there without incident. Nev

My method is similar to FactHunters. I copy the need-to-know things from the ERSA page onto the bottom of my flight plan so that I have one piece of paper that contains all the info I need (radio, runways and circuit/landing conditions/procedures). I also take the pages of strips that I am overflying out of my ERSA and clip them to my kneboard under the flight plan. They are sorted in the order of navigation.

Besides easy of use, another reason for copying some of the key info from ERSA is that it also reinforces what you read when you were creating the flight plan so while flying you will probably remember, but if not your short notes will remind.

Steven.

Thanks.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying, but......

;)

The "problem" with ear marking the pages in the ERSA is every time you get a new one, you have to mark them again. Yeah, not the end of the world, but it is annoying.

I have a Garmin 96C GPS - as mentioned in another post - and also have the Garmin program: Mapsource. In there I have "ALL" (well as far as I Know....) airports, intersections, etc etc etc.

Yes they are on the GPS, but sitting down at the desk planning/designing the flight is way easiser than on the GPS.

I also know there are great/handy flight planning programs out there. I have one and for some weird reason, actually don't use it. It didn't break the bank, so no worries.

I also agree it is handy with a PAX who can do all the "behind the scenes work" for you like next airport, etc. But that is for the lucky ones. I would also like to say that a well planned flight doesn't really have that much worry. I've done a few LONG trips - like 9 hours/day - and had a real lot of flight stuff with me. It does help with it all set out in a way YOU the pilot can understand.

I know that causes problems with other people: "I can't read it, I don't understand it, etc." Who cares. Bottom line, YOU the pilot need to understand it.

Anyway: Back to the "local notes" thing.

I am talking about "above" the level of your trips. What is the common things you use/take/need/deem needed for emergencies?

ONE "folder" you grab when things go wrong. Not getting the ERSA and flicking through to back looking for what to do.

Again: I appreciate there are two very opposite ways to look at this.

1: Just rat one ERSA and keep that.

2: You "must" have the latest information as things go out of date.

So where do you draw the line?

Ongoing discussion.

:)

What you need.

ERSA is so unsuited to its intended function, but it is a requirement to carry it. How silly is that? You should be able to down-load only the information that you need or may need. Example. You do not get ALL the notams for the whole of Australia do you?

As far as all the inflight info you need to REMEMBER, say aerodrome light signals. Learn them. You're very unlikely to ever need them but if they are used, you won't have the time to look them up. The same with radio FAIL procedures in CTA, but you could have a card with that on and clip it to the dash, on the occasions that it might be needed.

There is no use in giving a perfect PAN or Mayday call, if to do so might detract from a critical situation you are in, being well flown but If you are doing a precautionary off field landing it might be a good idea to transmit while you have height and therefore range and help might be available that otherwise would not be. Use flight following more often than we do. A flat mirror could be a useful item to carry. Water, matches and an army knife, and clothes that might be some use after you land somewhere unplanned. The trouble with GPS based Data, is that it might just disappear. PLB ?

I guess it is all about airmanship. Nev

I don't have room to carry all the legally required info, so I photocopy the WAC chart and put all the freqencies, runway directions and heights on that. Show boundaries for area frequencies, have a running distance scale along beside the track and put a line each side of track rather than right on it where it may obscure something. I will even show airstrips off the map with a direction arrow and distance. Works quite well for me and I have no chance of finding anything that is not in the map pocket, due to lack of space to even turn round to see in the rear locker.

Make sure you have water available on hot days or long flights.