Which Aerobatic Aircraft

Guest Cloudsuck

Guest Cloudsuck

Ok aero fans, you have just won 53 million in loto. Your wife says you can buy any aerobatic aircraft you want. Which one would you buy.

For me, I change my mind all the time but I think I would have a Sukhoi SU-29 in the hangar.

0604790.jpg.49d35545a8292922d88be580ad05adb5.jpg

Guest sessery

hmmmm....so many choices. can i get two? :big_grin:

sukhoi 29 or an MX2.

it would have to be a two seater so i could scare the crap out of anyone mad enough to come flying with me !!

or an MX2.

Hey I already got one of them.....!:thumb_up:

Oh sorry, wrong thread, I thought it was the RC section!!006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Cloudsuck
I agree with your choice Cloudsuck, or even a nice YAK 54 would do;)

Yeah I'm hearing you BLA. Did you see the 54 at Caboolture recently? Well I took it for a fly after Nob put a new 400 hp and MT prop on it. They say they are 90% performance of a Sukhoi. I haven't flowin a Sukhoi but the roll rate of the Yak 54 was eye watering. Here is a photo of it.

DSC_0455.jpg.72f1d514ed9696c0301940250b7d73ec.jpg

DSC_0459.jpg.8134996b6ece9910b148b991cbbda3d7.jpg

With $53 million, I'd get the Airtourer back into production again and start manufacturing. 043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif You know what they say, to make a small fortune in aviation you need to start with a large fortune!

True, it's no Sukhoi 29 or Yak 54, but I can't think of too many new basic ab initio to aeros trainers around these days, and everyone has to start somewhere!

Guest Cloudsuck
the photo of the yak has 'experimental' on it. why would that be?

Although they are factory built, they don't have a type certificate. All those type of aircraft operate on an Experimental or Limited C of A. Same with most of the warbirds etc.

Guest Cloudsuck
True, it's no Sukhoi 29 or Yak 54, but I can't think of too many new basic ab initio to aeros trainers around these days, and everyone has to start somewhere!

Nothing wrong with that choice Mazda, the black one at the Amberley Air Show last year was very impressive.

• 1 month later...
Guest M_I_T_C_H
Yeah I'm hearing you BLA. Did you see the 54 at Caboolture recently? Well I took it for a fly after Nob put a new 400 hp and MT prop on it. They say they are 90% performance of a Sukhoi. I haven't flowin a Sukhoi but the roll rate of the Yak 54 was eye watering. Here is a photo of it.

seen this the other day, looks awsome.

• 5 months later...
Guest Sharp End
Hawker Hunter Mk 58nothing else comes close!

Keep dreaming!

Walter

Walter, the best Hunters for aeros were the ex-RAF Valley F6s, known in their day as the GT-6. Why? Well, being used for conversion training only, the RAF ripped out the standard F6A armour plating and the guns, meaning it was light and still had the big 200-series Avon. Good fun, keep buying the tickets... :thumb_up:

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi Sharp end,

That you in a Hunter??

Lucky bugger. I grew up with Hunters in the sky throughout my childhood as well as Venoms & Vampires. All ever so vivid in my memory. I didn't know that the F6Gt existed. Must have been a dream to fly. What has me stomped is the fact that the weight saving in the "gun pack" would have tipped the plane nearly on it's back ie: when they flew without ammo they carried some lead weight in the gun pack to balance things out.

The last 72 Mk 58's where given away for free with most of them having under 2000hrs from new. Even better - there were enough parts ( brand new made in 58 ) to assemble 3 complete Hunters made in 1993 !! . These parts where dumped however. Many of Mk 58's are still flying as " enemy simulators " in Canada and England as well as 6 private units in Switzerland . Long may it last.!

fly safe

Walter

Guest Sharp End

Yep, lucky indeed. I flew T7s and F6, F6A (with guns and armour plating) and FGA9s in the RAF on one of the last Hunter Tactical Weapons Unit courses in 1980. Although the RAF got the Hawk in 1978 and trained fast jet pilots including TWU on it, the fast jet training units, especially the Lightning Training Flight (LTF), were complaining about "straight through" Hawk guys not being able to cope with the higher than a Hawk approach speeds and swept wing handling characteristics so the Hunter was resurrected as a TWU aircraft. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

Guest Sharp End
What has me stomped is the fact that the weight saving in the "gun pack" would have tipped the plane nearly on it's back ie: when they flew without ammo they carried some lead weight in the gun pack to balance things out.

Hmmm, I fired all four Adens from full (120 rounds) to empty a few times (fire power demos) and it actually had more elevator authority but still well within c of g. The GT6 had a lump of lead in the nose instead of the rangeing radar to help balance her out.

Guest Walter Buschor

Hi " Sharp End ",

Yep! you are a lucky bugger! Guess that after flying the "best" and most beautiful Jet ever life must have got a bit boaring - I mean bumbelling through the air at 100kts or so. So that begs the question what do you fly these days? Fast ones aren't on the menu too often.

I'm still jealous though! I have however flown the Hunter for many hours if only in my dreams !!

Should I ever find a spare $ 7000 I will have a fly in a T7 ( mk 68 ) for 45 mins. That would be the best $ 7000 spent ever !

fly safe

Walter

Guest Sharp End

Hi Walter,

I fly the mighty Aussie Airtourer, all 108 horsepower of her and I really enjoy it! Aerobatics in her are challenging and very rewarding when you get it right. Flying Hunters etc is OK when you're young, so I've decided to leave it to the following generations.

(Still miss it though! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif)

S-E.

• 2 weeks later...

HI SE, i was dissussing this subject with mazda, a week or so ago, i would like to fly the decahlon. The only other a/c aerobatic i have been in, is the yak 52, with the late barry hempel, that was nice. Their is something about radials that gets the heart pumping, and the wallet. LOL.

Guest Sharp End

Hi Dazza,

The main thing that gets your heart pumping in any aerobatic aircraft is when things go quiet! 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif As for your wallet? Well, just hand it to the front desk and apologise in advance to your bank manager! :ah_oh:

S-E