Wangaratta Airport

Called in to what was once one of the jewells in the crown of Victorian aviation.

What a tragedy!

Paint was peeling off the relatively new buildings, the signwriting had faded, and the main terminal had been taken over by women who seemed to be making woollen craft products - and at that, the same designs over and over again.

I'd stopped off for lunch but someone had begun dismantling the cafeteria, leaving the loose timber lying around in a pile of rubbish.

Worst of all, the magnificent Drage Museum was locked up.

I used to drop in to Joe Drage's shed at Wodonga on every trip once just to drool over things like the performance of the Beech Staggerwing he had on display.

When the collection was moved to Wangaratta to "save" it, the early signs that something was wrong were the large collection of old cars that effectively squeezed up all the aircraft exhibits.

The people of Wangaratta should be thoroughly ashamed of what they've let this asset come to.

If this was the US, or New Zealand, the airport would be hopping with tourist activity - it's only seconds from the Hume Highway.

But these people never bothered to build the tourist links to the nearby snowfields, or some of the best wineries in the Country, or the magnificent autumn scenerey or the Kelly Country, or even the Industrial centres around the town.

The grass is growing long, the clock is ticking.

Reminded me of an old C.J. Denis poem:

"Their eyes were dull, their heads were flat, they had no brains at all"

I know a couple of Wangarattites on this forum who might bash up (:hittinghead:) the Turbotinkerer over this post.

Kind regards from the Referee-Rat (:csm:)

They can try, but the stark evidence is there on the ground and its just a tragedy for flying.

Maybe the people you know Captain are frustrated victims; I would hate to think they are happy with the present situation.

Maybe there's an underlying problem generally. As I drove along the highway there was a news bulletin commenting on the loss of harness racing in Wangaratta.

Guest Junior

Drage Airworld had no chance of survival, Wangaratta locals had no say whether to

keep the major attraction open to the public.

The decision was made by the Rural city council to stop the operation losses, with

40,000 + visitors when it opened in th 80's to 5,000 a year in the closing date of 2001.

All aircraft where supposedly sold off, cafe closed, Bus terminus ceased.

Now Precision Aerospace using the entire hanger for rebuilding warbirds, etc.

There was a group trying to save the Airworld facility but once the council had it's mind made up, that was it. The group of business men had no chance.

There is an underlying problem, and it was the Council.

The council has been taken to VCAT for carpark planning issues / Big w complex.

New performing arts center ( which does look great ) , which had 6,000 objectors

to demolition of the town hall for rebuilding of this center, continued to go ahead.

Closure of Greyhound/ harness track, Council decision not public decision. Court appearance.

I could go on for losses of big business, the council over the years has declined

for Wangaratta.

Wangaratta people should not be ashamed of any decision as they have never been allowed to have their opinions heard. From the Council then to current council now.

Junior

Sorry for your situation Junior, it's very hard to fix things when a Council degenerates into a rotten mess.

The people do control it though - at the ballot box.

Guest ozzie

What a shame, we had the skydiving nationals there in 89/90? and it was a great venue. that was when Delux Coaches were operating from there. (I remember the passegers as it was just after two coaches collided)the museum combined with the rest of the facilties where great. It looked lke the airport then had a great future.

Shame to see that the council have no direction and that the place has fallen into disrepair. Maybe a good case that the federal govt takes back the control of airports such as this one. Next we will be reading of a new subdivision on the site.

Shame Shame Shame

Guest Junior
What a shame, we had the skydiving nationals there in 89/90? and it was a great venue. that was when Delux Coaches were operating from there. (I remember the passegers as it was just after two coaches collided)the museum combined with the rest of the facilties where great. It looked lke the airport then had a great future.Shame to see that the council have no direction and that the place has fallen into disrepair. Maybe a good case that the federal govt takes back the control of airports such as this one. Next we will be reading of a new subdivision on the site.

Shame Shame Shame

You must have been reading the local Wangaratta Chronicle , Ozzie.

Subdivision is in the council plans as a National freight group is planning to build a national freight hub, due to airport location , size of land available, price of land, etc.... has been discussed in local paper .

Airport is safe though. Will keep all posted on future plans.

Ah....another NATIONAL Freight Hub......(see the thread on Goulburn Airport).

Firstly, hubbing operations are never National - they are strategic locations with a high load of freight coming in and an equal load going out - so the trucks never have to operate empty. I've just visited the major truck operators in the area, and the action is in Albury/Wodonga and Wagga Wagga, which pretty much covers Sesame Street and the SA/WA-East Coast routes.

Secondly, I'd be willing to bet that a development company has been quietly working on the site for an Industrial zone for about a decade, and maybe the harness racing venue as well.

Thirdly, recent history, where airport after airport has been lost to developers, some with large volumes of air traffic, suggest that the airport will go.

Gidday All,

Too much negativity here about our Wang. The airfield is a great asset to the area and will remain council owned. Hands up those who have flown into Wang-one of country Vic's best strips. Sure the museum has gone because of lack off numbers etc, but what a fantastic job Precision Aerospace is doing rebuilding all the Kittyhawks and Mustangs etc. Murray has been employing 30-40 guys there for years.

Call in and see if he will show you through, you will be amazed and drop into the aero club for a coffee and chat as well.

Terry

Guest Maj Millard

For what it is worth, my only memory of Drages' at Wadonga. In the early seventies ended up at Wadonga with A local Albury skydiving legend Roy Marker, to do a demo across the border into Albury. They pulled out the Shiny bare aluminum Lockheed 12 A, the only one in Australia I believe, and quite rare. We all piled aboard, fired it up and went barreling down the short, dirt runway with both engines missing badly. Don't know who was flying it, could have been Joe Drage himself. Any way half way down he closes the throttles and sort of ground loops it, to pull up in a cloud of dust, which we all thought was exciting. A half hour later with cleaner plugs, away we went to do the demo. I think this might be the same Lockheed 12 that was at Old Station Fly-in a couple of years ago, and now lives at Hedly Watts' strip north West of Emerald ?.

Guest brentc

I note that Wang are looking for a new CFI with all approvals etc. Hopefully they find someone good and things spark up again.

• 2 weeks later...
I note that Wang are looking for a new CFI with all approvals etc. Hopefully they find someone good and things spark up again.

Hopefully they do,

I'm 14 and located in Wangaratta, and wish to become a Pilot.

And would like to train in my home town. Hopefully all will be going well time I start my training, which hopefully will be later this year or the next.

-Jack.

Guest Decca

I've always wanted to say Hi-Jack without too much fear of being arrested by the troopers.

Well, Jack there's a lot of hoping in your post, can't blame you for that though. I wish all your dreams come true.

Welcome to these forums, good to have you on board.

If that was your second post, where did you place your first?

Regards, Decca.

098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif