Enhanced Aviation Radio System

Wilfred

Enhanced Aviation Radio System

The E.A.R.S.2 (Enhanced Aviation Radio System) is a standalone system to connect a cell phone to your headset. In three steps the system is set up:

Plug headset to E.A.R.S.2.

Plug E.A.R.S.2 into radio or intercom system.

Connect E.A.R.S.2 cell phone cable into headset jack

The system then allows you to talk and listen on your cell phone through your headset, which is great for filing and closing flight plans, contacting ATC/FSS or any other location. In the event of an avionics failure, you can still talk right through your headset with your cell phone or a handheld radio

E.A.R.S.2 will not interfere with radio transmissions (using an interrupt system). The unit works independently so no need to worry about passengers listening to your calls. Passengers can even use an MP3 player to listen to music without you having to.

The unit uses one 9-volt battery to amplify the cell phone volume through your headset. The unit will automatically go into "stand-by" mode until making or receiving a call. Battery life is approximately 18 months in stand-by and 25 hours of talk time.

The E.A.R.S.2 sells for about $100

The site for the "E.A.R.S.2" was www.avshop.com and the price was $US100 or just under and it requires the lead for the cell phone to be matched to the adaptor just like the "Flightcell 2Go".

No doubt some phones will not require a special adaptor lead and will use their standard chord just like the Flightcell 2Go.

Ifound that Flightcellhave a listing on the web of about 175cell phones by brand and model indicating if an adaptor is needed and its' Flightcell part number and whether it is available. The list was last updated on 1-11-2005 so only one of the current or old CDMA phones thatI ownis on that old non current list. They indicate on the bottom of the list that there are more - so they supply a matching adapter when they supply the Flightcell 2Go.

Only sixof the 55 older Nokia cell phones listed did not require an adaptor between it and the flightcell 2Go.

Only six of the 22 older Motorola cell phones listed required an adaptor between it and the Flightcell 2Go.

The Flightcell 2Go price is $A315 from Wadair one of the Australian suppliers for either ofthe mono and the stereo versions. Flightcell also have a special model. I think it is Flightcell Pro V6 for around $A704 that is much more capable with many progamable optional inputs. They suggest it suitable for emergency services where there are many other systems to cope within high noise environments where it would be a big advantage to use a an aviation style headset.

Regards Ross

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John Simpson
www.avshop.com[/url] and the price was $US100 or just under and it requires the lead for the cell phone to be matched to the adaptor just like the "Flightcell 2Go". No doubt some phones will not require a special adaptor lead and will use their standard chord just like the Flightcell 2Go.

Ifound that Flightcellhave a listing on the web of about 175cell phones by brand and model indicating if an adaptor is needed and its' Flightcell part number and whether it is available. The list was last updated on 1-11-2005 so only one of the current or old CDMA phones thatI ownis on that old non current list. They indicate on the bottom of the list that there are more - so they supply a matching adapter when they supply the Flightcell 2Go.

Only sixof the 55 older Nokia cell phones listed did not require an adaptor between it and the flightcell 2Go.

Only six of the 22 older Motorola cell phones listed required an adaptor between it and the Flightcell 2Go.

The Flightcell 2Go price is $A315 from Wadair one of the Australian suppliers for either ofthe mono and the stereo versions. Flightcell also have a special model. I think it is Flightcell Pro V6 for around $A704 that is much more capable with many progamable optional inputs. They suggest it suitable for emergency services where there are many other systems to cope within high noise environments where it would be a big advantage to use a an aviation style headset.

Regards Ross

Thanks for your help Ross

• 3 weeks later...

cell phone & headset

I have great success with the standard ear bud "portable handsfree" that comes with most cell phones. Originally with a Nokia and with my current Motorola unit.

1..Place ear bud in ear

2..place microphone inside the headset ear cup

simple

works

does not interfere with avionics

price is right

Davidh

Hi,But do you think it would be suitable in an open cockpit high noise environment? Maybe I'll try it next week!!

Azhar

If you can use your radio in that environment then you should be able to use the phone. I have the microphone permanently set in the ear cup with a piece of foam and the set up does not in any way that I can perceive degrade the noise attenuation or the workings of the intercom or the VHF

Davidh