Any updates on modifing the cheap eBay 7" gps

Thruster87

Thruster87 - perfect then. I didn't see it in the list you had. Remains to be seen how good the bundled sw is.

Nick - I have a 4.3" screen and find it perfectly adequate. I'm tempted to get a 7" to see how they go and use the 4.3 for backup. I think you'll get reception anywhere, although mine is low wing and probably got more sight of satellites than a high wing. These units have WAAS which assists the signals. They claim you can still get a fix in a tunnel, but I doubt it. You can usually get an external antenna if the unit supports it and you find you need it - check the specs.

Dave - mine will go 4 hours or so on battery, but I run it off a 12v supply anyway. I did have an adapter failure a few months ago and didn't notice until the power was gone. I now have a battery level/charging indicator on my main screen to keep an eye on that.

The one Thruster87 bought will only run 10-15 mins on battery.

For anyone looking, this one looks like a bargain.

It's only 5", but is really slim and compact, has Windows CE 5.0 and latest maps for its road nav software, all the bits you need, and it states that you can easily install OziExplorer or any other nav software.

You should be able to get it for $180. Cheap.

As stated, if you want one but feel it's all too complicated, I'll buy it and set it up for you - just for fun.

My advice as a pilot isn't worth much (and my humour doesn't help anyone eh Nev?), so I can at least contribute with something I know. :hump:

Got the GPS and installed Oziexpolorer CE on another SD card and it works. Now I will try and load some maps into it somehow????? I've got a couple of VNC maps that I would like to scan and put into it if possible.What's the best way???

The best way by far is to buy them from Maptrax.

If you scan your own, you need the PC version of OziExplorer to calibrate them.

From memory, the trial version (free) only lets you plot 3 points. The full version allows many more. You would have to load your scanned image (.bmp, .tif, .jpg, .png and more formats accepted) via the "load and calibrate map image" option on the file menu.

Then you pick 3 points as far away from each other as possible, and enter their coordinates. You then save that as a calibrated map.

I'll send you one of mine for you to play with and get it all working, but you will need to buy or scan your own.

Cheers,

Ross

Got the GPS working with the VNC maps so far so good just need to understand the fine tuning of the unit itself,like refresh rates of maps,how to get the compass to point in the right direction etc Cheers and Thank you Slarti for your help, would have been a struggle without it.011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Mine Works

Also bought a 7" unit from Ebay. Used the Maptrax charts and it works a treat. Does anyone know how to put an OziExplorer icon on the startup screen. Mine has got the 'Navigation' that puts up the car-based choices and all the other bits and bobs such as music player etc. I've had a look through the files but can't see where it all initiates. Without copying likely files to the main PC and using 'notepad' or similar, it's difficult to id the correct file(s).

Paul Toone :)

Want to put icon on screen

Can't you tell it to use Ozi as the navigation program?

Yes. No prob using OziEx as the main boot-up program but then you can't use it as a car-based unit without changing the path each time.

Paul Toone

• 2 months later...
this post[/url]. Is that what you mean?I haven't set up one of the 7" units yet, but it would be easier than setting up a Navman or Mio because it already has access to Windows - you don't have to unlock it.

It should be simply a matter of downloading and installing OziExplorerCE, loading my waypoint file and the customized screen you can see in the above post, buying and loading the maps you want and go flying.

You can also buy the PC component and install that so you can design your own screens, create routes and waypoints, etc.

After reading some forum post on here, I ordered a 7" GPS on e-bay, I expect it to arrive in the next week...

Where do i get the maps for ozexplorer??

I could not find anything listed as vnc or vtc? 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

After reading some forum post on here, I ordered a 7" GPS on e-bay, I expect it to arrive in the next week...Where do i get the maps for ozexplorer??

I could not find anything listed as vnc or vtc? 041_helmet.gif.78baac70954ea905d688a02676ee110c.gif

Right here. (Maptrax)

I'm setting up a 7" for another forum member right now, so I'll know more soon. I haven't had a sec to finish it since last Thursday, but tomorrow night should be right.

One thing I did notice already was that Ozi doesn't do 800x480. Just trying to work out the best screen design to fit. Nice big screen though.

• 1 month later...