Wanted Jabiru,SK,SP LSA

Guest Escadrille

Guest Escadrille

Hi all,

I live in Toowoomba, Qld and I have been trying to buy an example of a Jabiru for a month or two now. I have had two nice aircraft available, one had an unfortunate incident and became unavaliable and the other, Well.. the owner had a change of heart and decided no to sell.. these things happen.

However does any one know of a nice example with a late Serial no model engine for sale for around <40> K Please..Some where in Qld would be great..

I know - wishful thinking..

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy

Ph 0400 472 303

049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Escadrille

I have now found a lovely SP 470.

I would like to thank all those owners who negotiated with me and /or let me see and fly in their pride and joy.I hope to see you all out flying again sometime,

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Escadrille

Hey qwerty,

Sure, As soon as I finalise everything with the owner and the aircraft finally is mine (Mine,Mine ahhahaha sounds of a maniacal laughter Grin!)..I will be happy to oblige!

010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

I must admit flying a 3300SPT Jab sounds great! What is it like?

Cheers..

Guest Qwerty

I know the feeling. First solo and first a/c. Absolutely the best feelings in the world.

I have plenty of hrs in 582 Lightwing, 80 hp Lightwing and 100hp Lightwing. I have just bought my Jab and I am STILL amazed at the way it lays me back in the seat on takeoff. Its a beast of a thing, it gets off the ground by its self at about 40Kn, I'm not to sure, but then it climbs at 80 Kn at 1500fpm and just keeps going. My home strip is 1000m long and by just over half way along it I am at 500 ft AGL and turning cross wind. Its just great.

Then it cruises at 115 Kn at about 2600 rpm and handles like its on rails. The only area where its performance is a bit poor is low speed handling. It feels like a bucket of mush but then I am used to my Lightwing with 100 hp and VG's and it is very crisp right into the stall.

If you are half as pleased with yours you will be happy.

Cheers.

Guest Escadrille

Sounds fantastic!

I had been flying the Thruster series for a few years (single seat and two seat)in the early 1990's , then I bought a Corby Starlet fitted with a Jab 2200 and flew it for over 5 years.That aeroplane spoilt me I reckon. It was like having a little fighter strapped to your butt!

I sold her and have been flying a Piper Super Cub(PA18-150) rented through my local Club,through the last few years,and it was great fun to fly although aquiring one and maintaining was too cost prohibitive for me.

I just love Taildraggers..

I looked at the SPT possibilities but, as you know they are rare and the ones that came up were snapped up quickly, naturally..most were out of my budget anyway.

I have been flying a Nosewheel GR912T to get my hand back in recently and am really looking forward to getting to know this little SP 470. I am hoping to really get out and see some more of our Big Country.

Thanks for the feedback..

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Qwerty

Excellent, I take it that you have her at home. Looks good.

What is the instrument bottom left?

I had to make a Mag switch guard similar but different to yours....My Mag switches were out in the clear just waiting for a map or somthing to turn them off.

How does she fly? Are you happy with her? Wher eis you next XC planned?

Cheers, Qwerty:thumb_up::thumb_up:

Guest Escadrille

Instrument bottom left is a Wings leveller, Turn Coord and Heading "autopilot",...(Bling) so far I have just used it in turn cord mode..I like the fuel flow Navman though..

She flies well very straight, easy to fly, yet challenging to fly well.. needs the touch.. I like it and have been having fun.

Had a couple of really nice squeaker landings so far but still learning..naturally..I am yet to try some real short fielders yet though.. should prove interesting I hear..

The local boys are talking about going to Moree to see a P51 out here..Should be excellent.

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

Read about your experinces with the flaps on go around whew.. bit nasty.

Well done for recovering and telling us all about it.

Cheers,

Guest Qwerty

Yeah, watch out for that one, it gets busy real quick. I used to live in Motorwoboa, It can get cold there, hows she start in the cold.

Guest Escadrille

Motorwoboa, Code for Toowoomba?

Yes it does get chilly -3 the other day but lovely at the moment, But so does Tassie if I recall..

:-)

When I had the Jab engined Corby I used to run a hairdryer into the cowling while I got ready and she used to fire up every time, however on away trips it could be a right little bastard to start in cold weather..

I haver read some of the tips here and I am not sure what the best cure/s will be. Fitting a remote plug for jump starts seems a good idea, fitting another battery just adds weight :-(. I just hate adding weight to an aircraft..

Your suggestions? 034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Guest Qwerty

There was a guy used to write into the local paper and serve it to the local Council. He'd write in anagrams. Toowoomba = Motowoboa, Aldermen = redalmen etc he was funny and he'd really give them heaps.

There was a long thread on here started by me about cold starting jabs. i havent got to the bottom of it yet. when I do I will post my findings.

Cheers

As I have said many times (and not had it ackowledged once), my cold starting problems were solved by installing a quality (expensive) German solenoid.

It now starts first go even when it's -5C. My theory (supported by measurements) is that more current gets to the starter and is available to the ignition because there's less leak to earth.

Guest Qwerty

I here formally acknowledge Slarty's post regarding his solenoid.

I thank Slarty for his contribution but my problem (as stated repeatedly on another thread) is not starting. My engine starts on the first compression, it just will not keep going, it seems like a mixture problem. It has nothing to do with starting, cranking speed, battries, solenoids, magnetos, spark, apark plugs etc.

Wow. Acknowledgement. 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

It was more in response to Escadrille. He asked for suggestions. It alleviates the need for the old "hair dryer in the cowl" trick.

I once melted the cowl on a borrowed Jab with that trick when the hair dryer slipped while I was doing something else.

Cause.

Isn't there a MOD on the Jabiru site about running an extra earth wire from the cover (brush end) of the starter to earth? Has everybody done this? Loose bolts holding the starter case together should be checked and isn't it recommended to remove the "O" ring to assist in alignment? Check this out as I am only bringing it up from memory, as I am not a Jab. owner. A good general check with starter problems is to crank the starter for a short while and feel for warm/hot areas, with terminals wires, solenoids (as they have contacts in them, and to them). If the starter don't crank good she won't go. Nev..

Guest Escadrille

Hi Slarti,

Yes the hairdryer did need constant attention while in the cowl! :kboom:

Can you give me the make and model no of the German solenoid you used, where you purchased it and approximate cost Please?keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Thanks for all your help with the images too! 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Cheers,

Andy

Guest Escadrille

Slarti, No worries at all,everything comes to those who are patient. Just a quicky Q though.. Who is Simon?033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif