Outback Fuel Planning

JG3

Here's a link to a map that I've prepared showing useful fuel stops in outback SW Qld, NW NSW, and NE SA. This covers the area needed to access the Birdsville Track, Lake Eyre, and Flinders Ranges. This area is the nearest real outback desert experience to the majority of the southeast population. It's readily accessible, well-travelled, and dramatic scenery.

StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

I've had fuel from all of those 20 sites, some of them several times. In a couple of hundred hours of flying in such areas I've never had any problem with dirty fuel. The longest legs between Avgas pumps are about 250nm Birdsville/William Creek, or 270nm Birdsville/Arkaroola. There's much more ULP than shown on this map; I've just shown those sites that ULP is right at the airstrip.

Also a link to some tips on planning and equipping such flights. StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

And some tips for packing to travel light but comfortable.

StolSpeed Aerodynamics - Performance Enhancement for Light Aircraft

Time to order some WAC charts and start planning!

JohnG

Yeh, thanks for that Les, it's input like that we need to keep up to date. I'll change the site as soon as I get home. Seems to me there used to be avgas at Lightning Ridge...... It was many years ago, and I was with a group with ground transport, so maybe we got fuel from town.......

JG

Guest Graham Lea
Yeh, thanks for that Les, it's input like that we need to keep up to date. I'll change the site as soon as I get home. Seems to me there used to be avgas at Lightning Ridge...... It was many years ago, and I was with a group with ground transport, so maybe we got fuel from town.......JG

At Lightning Ridge, you need to give them 1 weeks notice and it comes in a minimum of a 200 litre drum.

:-(

Walgett was ok for fuel the last time I was there; call the aero club for details.

Graham