messerschmitt 109

I have been watching the battle of britain on austar and they refer to the messerschmitt as the ME 109. I have a book on aircraft of world war 2 in it it's called a BF109 the prefix ME is used on jet powerd aircraft such as the ME 262, so who can tell me which is correct. cheers Steve.

I have been watching the battle of britain on austar and they refer to the messerschmitt as the ME 109. I have a book on aircraft of world war 2 in it it's called a BF109 the prefix ME is used on jet powerd aircraft such as the ME 262, so who can tell me which is correct. cheers Steve.

Bf 109 or Me 109 ?

What is right: Bf 109, Bf-109, BF-109, Bf109, Me 109, Me-109, ME 109, or ME109?

In 1938, during the production of the C version, Messerschmitt's global reputation has grown to the point where the Air Ministry suggested changing his company's name from Bayerische Flugzeugwerke to Messerchmitt A.G.. Subsequent aircraft would be identified with the "Me" prefix; those already in production, the 109, would retain the "Bf" designator. Nonetheless, many people began referring to the "Me 109," including the USAAF; contemporary air combat reports are filled with references to the "Me 109."

In German usage at the time, "Bf 109" was correct. No dash, lower case "f," not "Me 109," and including a space between "Bf" and "109." But confusion persists to this day. Try a web search on "Messerschmitt Me 109." You'll get almost as many hits as with the proper abbreviation.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest DonningtonSmythe

I note that there is a Messerschmitt Bf-109 G2 listed in the Register - VH-EIN. Built 1942, Daimler-Benz engine so probably not a replica! :-) Haven't heard anything about this a restoration project -can anyone provide details or shed any light as to its progress/status?

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day Tony,

Thanks for the heads-up, much appreciated. I'm just keeping tabs on potential attractions for future airshows! :-)

Christian,

Let me know if I can help with any thing as far as the airshow goes, we have moved to Townsville, I realised I had not updated my address after I replied, but we will certianly be at the show and happy to help in any way.

Tony.

Guest DonningtonSmythe

G'day Tony, thanks for the offer - much appreciated as we will need a large number of volunteers for a variety of positions, particularly including experienced/qualified airside personnel. If you want to shoot me an e-mail with your contact details I can reply or give you a ring to touch base. I live in Heatley so I'm a Townsville local.