Aircraft performance source

Hi All,

Does anyone know somewhere to find Pilot Opertating Handbook aircraft performance figures, not the ordinary stuff like max speed, range etc but stuff that would interest pilots eg what's the stall speed of a 747, the max rate of climb of a Fiesler Storch, take-off roll of a C-130, roll rates and max G for aerobatic aircraft etc.

Mark

Guest ozzie

you will have to get your hands on the POH/ flight manual for each aircraft try the manufactures websites.

Guest Decca

Hi Smokey. You're asking for a huge database of information there.

I'd have to agree with ozzie, given the range of information over the a/c types.

Even the small Observers Book of Aircraft would not have the range of info let alone the range of a/c.

If there's a lot of people after similar info as yourself you could make a killing if you publish your own book.

Good Luck, Decca.

There is some info available on a few types with Flight simulators. I don't know how accurate it is. No doubt someone on here who flies the heavies will know.

Flight simulator database.

Not an expert here but have found that all types react accurately in this respect. Whether you can extract actual nunbers this way I am not sure as the performances are affected by weights, density altitude, actual power, configuration, etc (as the real aeroplane is). Nev

Guest check-in

It is highly unlikely that even good FlightSim programmes could hope to truly represent the performance of all types, even within one model or make. Because there are so many variations - e.g. the B737 range goes from about 16,000 lb thrust and 50,000 kg in the early models up to about 27,000lb thrust and about 80,000 kg in the current NG series. Also, different models often use different flap settings for takeoff, approach and landing. General handling may be similar across the range for the purposes of FlightSim, but it's certainly not the real thing if you actually fly the real thing. The true takeoff, climb, engine-out performance etc and fuel burn info is tightly guarded by the manufacturers who only sell their programmes to approved customers. For enormous costs. Last time I looked I think an AFM for a B727 was about $12,000 US and it was only generic for a particular engine rating, i.e. it did not cover all models. To have an AFM 'tailored' would be much more expensive. Unless you buy the whole aeroplane, when of course the AFM comes 'free'.

Even the humble C172 has a whole range of engine options and weights, which would affect the variables enough to make it a mammoth task to publish really accurate data. Add in the way the manufacturer claimed performance in brochures etc versus what later regulation may have required or now requires in the way of safety margins, and it would be a minefield to negotiate.