Cures for Ear Popping

Guest studentbiggles

Guest studentbiggles

:wave:Everyone, Studentbiggles needs some advice and sure fire remedies for major ear popping that I experience on my descends and landing approaches...( It's hard enough trying to concentrate on everything being a "newbe" and have my ears doing this:kboom:just before I touched the "Piano Keys"......It threw me right off and hurt like hell...Tried gum (NO GOOD)...:help:Pease..Cheers (Alley)

Try and clear your ears before you change altitude. Once your ears start to hurt the pressure has all ready built up and it's to late. Maybe need to see your GP if all else fails it maybe a sinus problem.

Guest Decca

Hi Alley. Do you have a cold? Don't fly.

If not, then swallowing, not just chewing, might work.

If all else fails, use thumb & forefinger of one hand to hold your nose closed, breath in, hold your mouth closed, then try to breath out, hard if necessary. First this will clear the tubes to your ears, second it will equalise pressure in the sinus between your eyes - instant relief. After years of agony I couldn't believe how quick and simple it was.

Regards, Decca.

Guest drizzt1978

I didnt think this would be too much of a problem at low altitude.....(unless you have sinus problems or eustachan tube problems,)

What sort of heights do you descend from...Do you get it from circuit height??

Apart from learning how to clear your ears, you could try and descend a bit slower, and the trick is to equalize your ears on the the way up as well as that is whe the pressure is building-you dont feel it til your on your way down and its trying to get out...Try sucking on strong mints like a fishermans friend , and definitely dont go up if you have a head cold..

Good luck..

I find if I keep the descent rate 500ft/min or slower it doesn't become a problem for most people. If you are having trouble clearing your ears tilting your head side to side as you swallow can help. Work your jaw open and closed as you do it as well.

Guest studentbiggles

Ear Popping Cures

:wave:FlyBye, Decca, drizzt1978, Simonflyer, Sain + Brillin-air....Thanks for all your input and comments...No I didn't have a cold and the sinuses were fine but me thinks I know how it all came about....And its a bit of a laugh:laugh:....Gary(CFI) and I had just crossed the Vic border by luck just after I had tried and was completing my Climbs + Descends....I screamed out YES I"M HOME na_na.gif.fad5d8f0b336d92dbd4b3819d01d62e5.gif Out of the clutches of the "Crow Eaters for Two MInutes" (Ex Vic + NSW Person)...Just a bit of fun and frivolity:thumb_up:...But you should have seen the look on Gary's face, but I did quickly say "present company definitely excluded:laugh:...099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif Anyway on the way back to Renmark Airstrip, Gary and I were reveiwing my skills as above and he reminded me next time to only descend @ 500' per min. not 800'?????'025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif....But gee it was great fun even though the ears suffered:loopy:...Once again guys thanks so much for sharing all yours comments and skills, it helps so much...All Fly Safe, Cheers Studentbiggles (Alley)

Guest Maj Millard

Chew gum....it'll also make you look cool...........Yeager chewed it didn't he ?...................................................

when chewing gum start to chew slightly harder on descending. luckily i have never had this problem but was told that chewing gum will help dramatically.

chew harder when descending and make sure your constantly swallowing. it relieves pressure from the build up in the eustachian tube

Jay

Guest studentbiggles

Ear Popping Cures

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Maj Millard + perthjay85, thankyou for your tips Re: ears...I now have multiple cures for my problem, which I hope will subside with more air time:thumb_up:...Guys keep it in the green.Fly Safe....I'll be up in the blue on the 12th Aug weather permitting...3rd lesson:clap: