Gps

buttsy

Hi All

I'm looking at GPS units, I don't need anything too complicated or expensive.

Clearprop has a Avmap Geopilot ll on sale, it definatly is the right price , and looks to

have enough features for my needs.

Has anyone had experience with this model? or have any advice for a first time buyer

Cheers:help:

Guest basscheffers

All you really need is a cheap Garmin, load the waypoints and airfields from navaid.com using EasyGPS and you're set. Highly accurate. More than enough for me!

Obviously, this doesn't give you nice maps with CTA boundaries, ATC frequencies and the like but having those capabilities in the GPS doesn't take away the requirement from using maps anyway or being able to fix your location using ground reference.

Anything else is luxury, it all depends on how much you want to pay. :)

Guest basscheffers

That's a pretty good solution, somethign to consider when/if I am ready to upgrade to moving map! I do like the terrain profile.

Also more expensive, but the Bendix/King AV8OR gets good reviews and seems reasonably priced. Might be good alternative to the AvMap if the aussie data is up to scratch.

Guest Graham Lea

My experience in a busy area (Sydney basin) with thecharts, one is picking them up and looking at them and not out the window so much. With a moving map gps (& had one for the last 9 years) one is looking out the window and a the changed height requirements etc all the time (with it on the dashboard). Makes for an easy relaxed flight eithout any hassles. I hace head people coming into Syd fromthe west called by sydney radar adn told that they are about to enter CTA - no doubt due to the workload on crossing the mountains. They are not expensive in relation to the info you get (esp if you are touring or going into a different airport). Yeh I know, flying costs money :-)