Straight out departure

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

The procedures for joining a circuit are pretty clear, but what about departing? Obviously NO turns against the circuit direction, but what about no turns at all in the circuit, a straight-out departure, so to speak?

Normally I head back OCTA, so I follow the circuit, climb out, call departing at 1500 and head for Mount Barker.

Today I departed Aldinga runway 32 and because I had filed to go the coastal route to Outer Harbor, I continued my climb to 1000, made a CTAF call at Aldinga Beach to say I was leaving the area, turned north over the coast called approach.

(Before anyone asks, in light of recent events: at Parafield we have an exemption from CASA, allowing us to do this - with proper training of course!)

Obviously, I had listened out and nobody was inbound or joining. (and even on a crosswind join they would have been behind me)

Is this legal? Is it safe? Is it good airmanship?

By this I presume you mean on runway heading. I can't see any problem with this at all subject to the good airmanship procedure of clearing the blind spot under the nose in a prolonged straight climb. Nev..

Guest basscheffers
By this I presume you mean on runway heading. I can't see any problem with this at all subject to the good airmanship procedure of clearing the blind spot under the nose in a prolonged straight climb. Nev..

Yes, runway heading. No prolonged climb in this case, leveled out at 1000 to enjoy the coastal scenery on the way up to Parafield!

I always clear the nose every 500 feet, though in reality, I have always climbed to 1000 in the circuit to depart Parafield, and then do it every 500' in the subsequent climb to cruise. In this case I must admit to not doing it AT 500.

Guest Graham Lea

I call entering runway xyz and departing upwind for abc whenever I do this .. not in the book I know, but it notifies averyone else what I am about to do.. esp someone joining the circuit crosswind a bit out of place (!)

Graham

Guest tmpffisch

It's clearly described in the AIP as well as the VFG.

For a straight out departure you can turn 45 degrees towards the circuit at circuit height and past the upwind threshold, and then intercept your track when clear of the circuit. To turn against the circuit you can intercept your track once 500ft above circuit height.